cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My printer/ scanner won't scan

sadharlow
Contributor

I have a Canon Pixma printer/scanner. I'm trying to scan something and an error message comes out. It keeps saying "can not communite with scanner for these reasons: USB cable is disconnected. Scanner is turned off". 

The USB cable is connected and the printer is on, but still, same error message keeps popping out. Please help! 

13 REPLIES 13

Canon, the biggest crap money can buy.

I have mine here at home which I will gladly throw through a Canon Head Office main entrance door because the new HP I bought does not give me a fraction of a "billionth" of trouble.

Family member have a earlier model and exact issues.

Vote with your wallet.

They got my money 1st time but not my life long support....

maineman42
Contributor

I have the same exact problem as sadharlow.  Yesterday I was using the scanner with no problem.

Today I get the Scan Gear popup saying:

"Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:

-Scanner is turned off

-USB cable is disconnected

Please check and try again

Scanner driver will be closed

Code:5,156,69"

I do not know what is meant by "Scanner is turned off" but I can assure you that the USB cable is NOT disconected.  I also have no idea what is meant by "Scanner driver will be closed".  I am virtually certain that I have had the same problem in the past and contacted Canon Technical Support by phone and the issue was easily resolved.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember what the answer was.  As late as this July I was able to talk to Canon tech support by phone about a problem with the printhead on my MG6821 printer with no problem.  Today, however, I tried to reach Tech Support by phone and apparently if you want to talk to them now you will have to have a "Canon account"  and cough up $19.99.  I have used Canon products for many years and one of the reasons was free phone tech support.  In my view the present situation is a giant step in the wrong direction and I may need to rethink my continued use of Canon products.

I am running a Dell Inspiron XPS Studio (fully loaded) with Windows 10 Home, build 1903 and my printer is a Canon PIXMA  MG 5220.

My bad!  I had just returned from my summer place in Maine where I had Canon printer(s) installed that used the IJ Scan utility.  However, here in NC that will not work with my MG5220, have to use MP Navigator EX 4.0 to scan.  Before I remembered that I had deleted the 5220 printer and drivers this morning and reinstalled them which was probably unnecessary but no harm done (other than the aggravation!).  This will probably not help sadharlow with his particular problem but thought I would pass it on in any event.  My comments about Canon phone support (or lack thereof) still stand.

Janet6
Apprentice

I read the comments on Amazon, people complaining of the same. One person said you need to UNLOCK the "travel mode"? on the bottom.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements