cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My MX870 is not printing. Paper shows up blank. It sounds like it is working, but nothing.

nti4fun
Apprentice

My MX 870 is not printing my documents. It started with me changing the ink cartridges because I ran out. Then afterwards, it just didn't seem to be printing properly. I went through the maintenance process, thinking maybe that needed to be done as well. I did something with the auto head alignment, not sure if that would have done anything. Any suggestions.

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi nti4fun,

First, please make sure that the installed ink tanks are correct and full of ink.  The correct order is:

CLI-221BK
CLI-221M
CLI-221Y
PGI-220BK
CLI-221C

Next, please print the nozzle check pattern to determine whether the ink is ejecting properly from the print head. To do this, please follow these steps:

1.  Make sure that the machine is turned on, then load a sheet of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper in the Auto Sheet Feeder or the Cassette.

2.  Open the Paper Output Tray and then open the Output Tray Extension.

3.  Press the Paper Feed Switch to select the paper source where you have loaded paper.

4.  To print the nozzle check pattern:

4-1.  Press the Menu button on your PIXMA MX870.

4-2.  Select Maintenance, then press the OK button.  The Maintenance screen is displayed.

4-3.  Select Nozzle check pattern and then press the OK button.  The pattern print confirmation screen is displayed.

4-4.  Select Yes and then press the OK button.

The nozzle check pattern is printed and the pattern confirmation screens are displayed alternately.

Compare the nozzle check pattern you printed with the example attached at the bottom of this post, and perform cleaning if necessary.

Please perform the following steps to perform a Deep Cleaning: 

1.  Press the MENU button on your PIXMA MX870.

2.  Select Maintenance then press the OK button.

3.  Press <OK> to select Maintenance.

4.  Select Deep Cleaning and press OK.

5.  Press OK to select Yes.

The Deep cleaning will be performed.  After 2 or 3 cleanings, print another test page.

Does the test page print correctly?

If it does not, please contact our support group using the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/contactus

MX870 Nozzle Test.jpg

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the same condition of nothing appearing on the paper after changing ink cartridges.  The printer was working fine minutes before changing ink cartridges.

The option of Deep cleaning has been attempted 3 times, yet nothing appears on the page.  

The printer does seem to know of the requested document in size (print queue shows document size), and paper advances through the printer as if it is printing the page as expected.

Does this mean the print head has now failed ?

Hello.

If the issue persists after cleanings have been performed, the unit would require service for correction.  Please check your local listings to see if there are any repair shops in your area that might be able to examine or repair the unit.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I was able to get the printer working this morning.  Yesterday I had removed the Printer and re-installed the drivers, but that didn't resolve the issue.  I noticed that there had been a couple of installations of the Printer (MX870), so I unstalled all instances of the printer, shutdown, started up, installed the Printer, now only having one instance of the MX870 and this configuration prints fine again.

Thanks for your reply.

Announcements