cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My MX860 multifunction printer failed. Got an MX870 coming. Any shortcuts to using the old drivers?

WaltCulver
Contributor

Will the new MX870 plug-and-play with the old MX860 drivers in my Windows PC, or is it more complicated than that?  (I do assume I'll have to get the printer to talk to my password-protected wireless hub, of course.)

Thanks, Walt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi WaltCulver,

The PIXMA MX870 uses different drivers than the PIXMA MX860, so you will need to install the drivers for the PIXMA MX870 on your computer instead of using the drivers and software for the PIXMA MX860.  The printer will come with an installation CD to install the drivers and software; however, you can also download them from the Canon USA website.

Please click here to go to the initial download page for your PIXMA MX870.  Once on the initial download page for your model, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" drop-down menu is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system.

2. Next, please click on the red arrow next to the "RECOMMENDED FOR YOU" section and click the MP drivers file. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear. Please click on the checkbox below the DOWNLOAD button, then click the red DOWNLOAD button to begin the download. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

Once you have downloaded the MP drivers file, please follow the steps above to also download the rest of the software for the printer from the SOFTWARE section.

Once all items are downloaded, please double-click on each item to install them on your computer.  Please be sure to install the MP drivers first.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Ramona
Authority

Hi WaltCulver,

The PIXMA MX870 uses different drivers than the PIXMA MX860, so you will need to install the drivers for the PIXMA MX870 on your computer instead of using the drivers and software for the PIXMA MX860.  The printer will come with an installation CD to install the drivers and software; however, you can also download them from the Canon USA website.

Please click here to go to the initial download page for your PIXMA MX870.  Once on the initial download page for your model, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" drop-down menu is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system.

2. Next, please click on the red arrow next to the "RECOMMENDED FOR YOU" section and click the MP drivers file. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear. Please click on the checkbox below the DOWNLOAD button, then click the red DOWNLOAD button to begin the download. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

Once you have downloaded the MP drivers file, please follow the steps above to also download the rest of the software for the printer from the SOFTWARE section.

Once all items are downloaded, please double-click on each item to install them on your computer.  Please be sure to install the MP drivers first.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements