cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Chromebook will not let me install software via google play; so how do I install to a Chromebook?

booknest2
Apprentice

The instructions for installing my printer software says I need to do so via Google Play. However this does not work on a Chromebook, which is what I have. Chromebook tech support says I cannot download apps from google play, only google chrome store. However, the printer in question is on the chromebook list of being usable with the chromebook. (pixma MG5520) So. . . the question is. . . . how do I install it. . . .there must be a way.

3 REPLIES 3

Ramona
Authority

Hi booknest2,

The PIXMA MG5520 is set up a little differently when using it with a Chromebook than other Android devices. First, let's set it up on your network:

1. Go to the Home menu or press the Home button.

2. Use the arrow keys until Wireless LAN Setup appears and select this option.

3. If a 'WPS' prompt appears, press STOP.

4. Select the Standard Setup option.

5. Follow the remaining prompts on the printer menu to connect the unit.

Once your PIXMA MG5520 is connected to your netowrk, please set it up for Google Cloud Printing. You can do that by following this link:

Setting up Google Cloud Printing

Once set up, if you are getting a "Printer Offline" error, please disable the ECP settings on your PIXMA MG5520 by following these steps:

1. Turn your PIXMA MG5520 on.

2. Select ECO Settings from the HOME screen.

3. Using the up and down buttons, select an item. Using the left or right button, choose OFF or Disable for all the items in this menu.

Once set, please attempt to use Google Cloud Print.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

As it turned out a day later I was able to speak via telephone to a Canon tech person knowledgable about the Chromebook and he walked me thru it and was marvelously good at it and very patient.  Hurray! 

By this time I had gotten ahold of a Canon support person who understood the problem and helped me immensly; so it was already solved. But thanks for the answer; I am learning all the time. (senior citizen!)

Announcements