cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 won't print color

reddirtutah
Apprentice

I have owned the MX922 for over a year. It's worked ok until a few days ago.

Suddenly, it won't print in color.  The ink cartridges are not empty.

What can I do?

12 REPLIES 12

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

First, please make sure that the installed ink tanks are correct and full of ink. The correct order is:

CLI-251M magenta
CLI-251BK black
CLI-251Y yellow
PGI-250BK black
CLI-251C cyan

Next, please print the nozzle check pattern to determine whether the ink is ejecting properly from the print head. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Make sure that the machine is turned on.

2. Load a sheet of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper in the Auto Sheet Feeder or the Cassette.

3. Open the Paper Output Tray and then open the Output Tray Extension.

4. To print the nozzle check pattern:

4-1. Press the MENU button.

4-2. Press the Setup button.

4-3. Select Maintenance, then press the OK button. The Maintenance screen is displayed.

4-4. Select Print nozzle check pattern and then press the OK button. The pattern print confirmation screen is displayed.

4-5. Select Yes and then press the OK button.

The nozzle check pattern is printed and the pattern confirmation screens are displayed alternately. Please compare your printout to the example that has been attached to this message.

If they differ, perform a few cleanings. Please perform the following steps to perform a Cleaning:

1. Press the MENU button.

2. Press the Setup button.

3. Select Maintenance then press the OK button.

4. Select Cleaning and press OK.

5. Press OK to select Yes.

The cleaning will be performed. After 2 or 3 cleanings, print another test page.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the same problem Did all you asked and now it still will only print in B & W or mostly cyan or mostly magenta.

JoePolly

lorenhaas
Apprentice

Same problem.   Just prints black.   Ignores color.    Nozzle pattern test prints in grey.    Mac OSX El Capitan.

Hi lorenhaas,

It is recommended that you contact live technical support . There is NO charge for this call. Real time feedback of a live technical support call would be very beneficial in this case.

Please dial 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A Canon technical support representative will be able to resolve this issue faster.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Likewise. Did they find a solution for you?

spinster
Apprentice

Having the same problem. It was printing color poorly because the smaller black cartridge needed to be replaced. I replaced the black, and now none of the colors will print. The check pattern prints only in gray. 

5tates
Apprentice
I had to run the cleaning 5 times but it’s up & running great now!

jcg1
Apprentice

I had this issue as well.  Utimately the problem was after-market ink...I hate saying this on a Canon forum...LD ink works perfectly.  Somehow I got ahold of something called "RC" ink.  There is no separate tape to remove the air hole.  It has a label that identifies the ink color and also covers the air hole.  When you peel it off, it leaves an adhesive that covers the air hole, and so, does not work.  Quite a genious that designed this  cartridge.

What is LD ink and what is RC ink?
Announcements