cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 setup cartridges ( and most other models too I guess)

techguy
Apprentice

old printer died and had to buy a new printer

do I need to start it up the first time with the setup catridges or I can I move over the already open ones from the old one

I don't want to have an open set of cartridges not in the printer

but I don't want to mess up the new one by starting it up the first time with cartridges that are not labled setup ?

exactly how are the setup cartridges different, I have read almost every possible answer on the internet so most of them have to be inaccurate !

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi techguy,

As long as the other inks tanks are Canon genuine ink tanks that are compatible with the printer, they should be able to be used to setup the printer; you don't have the use the Setup ink tanks to setup the printer.  If for some reason the other ink tanks do not work, you can go ahead and use the Setup ink tanks to setup the printer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Cartridges are the same, so you can use same part number cartridges from old printer. I have done it several times.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I read somewhere that the setup cartridges are required and no others with work the first time the printer is set up

is this true or not?

this is so dealers can't sell the printer and keep the ink

Hi techguy,

As long as the other inks tanks are Canon genuine ink tanks that are compatible with the printer, they should be able to be used to setup the printer; you don't have the use the Setup ink tanks to setup the printer.  If for some reason the other ink tanks do not work, you can go ahead and use the Setup ink tanks to setup the printer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Are the SETUP CL251 ink tanks a lesser volume than a standard CL251 ink tank?

Are the XL ink tanks really twice the voulme?

I switched to Canon because I was paying $20 to print a few pages on my HP all in one. (I would print a few pages and then it would sit dormant for a month or more.)

Hi fabricgator,

The ink tanks that come with the printer are full (non-starter) ink tanks.  The ink volume contained in the ink tanks used by the printer can be found below:

PGI-250 BK: 15 ml
CLI-251: 7 ml

PGI-250XL PGBK: 22 ml
CLI-251XL BK: 11 ml
CLI-251XL Gy: 11 ml
CLI-251XL Y: 11 ml
CLI-251XL C: 11 ml
CLI-251XL M: 11 ml

Canon inks and accessories can be purchased at the Canon online store here.

Thank you for the reply Ramona,

That is interesting information. I noticed that some of my NonXL ink tanks( I kept the empties for some reason) said SETUP on them and others that I bought from the Canon Store did not say SETUP.

I found it curious and was wondering what the difference was.

I figured it was like Gillette razors. That they give you just enough to get started and then you find yourself buying more.

Is there any difference between the regular (non XL) CLI251's and the ones marked "SETUP"? Something in the little microchip to tell it to do an alignment maybe?

Curious

are the starter cartridges for this printer filled as much as the regular ones?

Hi enjeenje,

The inks that come with the MX922 are the same as standard size ink tanks, and contain the same amount of ink.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

ts9120 not MX922

Announcements