cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 scanning

rslifer
Apprentice

I have converted to Mountain Lion and have loaded the new scanner driver.  However, with Lion when I scanned a multipage document, the scanner software kept it together as one document.  Now it is coming out as separate pages and I have to set up folders for them to keep them together.  How do I change the settings to have multipage scans stay together?

28 REPLIES 28

No disrespect intended but...... the Canon IJ Scan Utility and the My Image Garden programs suck. As the previous person posted, they are a step backwards. They're not intuitive. Please, please, PLEASE, Canon, give us back the MP Navigator EX program. I bough G4200 and MX922 and I'm about ready to return them tot he sotre and buy a used MX870.... located FIVE HOURS AWAY. Seriously... I can't deal with these new programs and my business productivity is suffering as a result.

I know this is an old thread. But I was trying to scour the internet looking for the same solution to this problem and was surprised to see that it hasn't been fixed or no one has made a workaround. Tried to use the scan utility or whatever and it wasn't cutting it for me.

Anyways, I used what little programming skills I had and basically made a device profile for the MP Navigator software for it to work. I used the MX870 series file as a base since that was the last MX printer to support MP Nav. I only did basic testing with default settings and it works so far. Looks like I can use the scanner driver (scan gear) if I want more advanced settings and it'll output it directly to the navigator still. I can now scan multiple pages and actually pick the ones I want to save into a PDF.

The only thing that I found that doesn't work is the order that it's displayed when scanned (when trying to change it in the settings). It pretty much just goes the order it was scanned in. You can just put the documents facing up to go in order, or just organize it on the timeline thing at the bottom of MP Nav I guess.

I have only tested this with MP Navigator EX 5.0 (the one that show for download for my previous printer, MG6220). In theory, it should work with MP Navigator 3.1 or whatever comes with the MX870 considering that was where the source file was located.

Here's the file for anyone that wants to give it a try:

<Link Removed Per Forum Guidelines>

You want to put it in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\MP Navigator EX 5.0\Device

Then when you open MP Nav, you want to open preferences and on the general tab select MX920 for the printer.

On another note, ADF duplex takes forever to scan for me. Is that normal? This was like this when I was using the stock utility. If anything, using the MP Nav seems to be slightly faster, but I still consider it to be slow compared to my old printer.

edit:

crap, posted in the wrong thread, but I guess it applies here too?

@kaylorsan wrote:

Any chance that the 922 will be able to run MP Navigator in the future?  I have an 870 and find that the software interface (MP navigator) is much easier to use and much more intuitive than the software that came with the 922.

I'm used to just dumping a pile of papers in the ADF on the 870.  I select single/double sided and color/B&W and I get a nice list of thumbnails after the scannng is complete.  Then I can simply check what thumbnails belong together.  I can make 1 document, or many individual ones.

With the 922, it seems like I have to scan each document (single or multiple page) as a scan.  I used the IJ scan utility to set the parameters for each scan.  It seems like a step backward to me from my 870 software.

FWIW, I the MP navigator won't recognize my 922.

Any support/advice would be appreciated.  I love my new 922, but the scanning functionality for my particular needs does not meet my expectations.

Unbelievable.

I would have NEVER bought the MX 922 if I would have known that I could not use the MP Navigator.

How mindless can people be?

There ought to be a law that forces companies to put a giant label on the front of any package of any computer or peripheral that is not compatible with existing software.

For example: This shiny new MX 922 will not be usable with MP Navigator, your go-to program.

I had to do a google search to find out why my expensive new printer won't scan.

Ridiculous.

To all at Canon who came up with this change: Good thinking folks!

NOT

Smiley Mad

When it is time to buy new printers for my household, guess which brand I will not be buying!!!

Hi, I recently purchased a MX922 and am trying to scan. I am getitng an error that the scanner driver cannot be found. I have reinstalled it several times with no luck. I can print from the iMac (mavericks) fine, but cannot scan. Any ideas and is this related to your post below?

Hi kphandley,

Are you using your PIXMA MX922 with a USB cable or wirelessly?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@MarkII wrote:

Hi rslifer,

Making an adjust to the IJ Scan Utility settings should fix this problem.  Follow these steps:

1. Open the IJ Scan Utility.
  2. Click the Settings... button in the bottom right of the window.
  3. Highlight Document Scan, to view the document scan settings.
  4. In the Save Settings section, change the Data Format to PDF (Multiple Pages) and click OK
  5. Back at the IJ Scan Utility window, load your documents in the ADF and click the Document button to start your scan.

If you have any other questions on adjusting your scan settings, please feel free to . . . .

I can't begin to tell you how infuriating this is.

I bought a Canon printer to add to my household's set of Canon printers so that I would have nice new shiny printer with all of the software advantages of the MX5320.

I feel cheated.

CHEATED.

Moreover, I cannot download the My Garden app or anything else from the Canon website.

I feel totally ripped off.

I did not want incompatibility and endless hassles.

I want convenience and efficiency.

Someone--probably more than one person--at Canon deserves an "F" on the assignment that produced this unwelcome change.

jacquedale
Apprentice

I just purchased the Pixma MX922. I have not been able to scan using the on device keypad. I have to open my "devices and printers" box and chose scan. Then when I do that it will not scan multiple pages and pdf is not even an option. I did check the scanner settings and the problem can not be fixed there either. Not sure what to do. This was the problem I kept having with my previous Canon (MX 360), and the reason I upgraded. I just wish the tech would work properly. 

-JD

robbyray
Apprentice
While new to this forum, I'm probably one of the longer and more prolific users of Canon multi-function printers with the latest and best being the MX 860 and MX 870 which I've recently upgraded to two new MX922 machines while continuing to keep the others in full operation in different locations of the U.S. My only problem with the MX922_RV machines is the lack of the excellent MP Navigator EX scanning software for the MX 920 series machines that has allowed me and others in my company to be super efficient at converting all of our paper records, old and current, to easily searchable digital records. Not only are we a much more efficient organization, but we are eliminating dozens of legal file cabinets and saving trees by not having to make paper copies of antiquated paper documents. Canon, your business decision to no longer support upgrading your excellent MP Navigator software for the MX 920 and probably later series is a very poor one and I suspect will cause a slow but continuous migration away from what otherwise have been outstanding, good performance, and long lasting Canon multi-function printers / scanners / copiers and fax machines.

I believe it is in your best interest to announce and quickly deliver on continuous upgrades to your excellent MP Navigator that so many of us have trained ourselves and our employees to use with ease and high proficency. Unfortunately, "My Image Garden" and "IJ Scan Utility" are not anywhere close to being acceptable substitutes with the former being a training, gimiky nightmare even if it had the powerful, yet simple scanning capability and features of MP Navigator, which it does not have.

cachi
Apprentice

Hi

How can I password protect a document scanned through my new MX922? I was able to do so with MP Navigator EX, but I can't find how to do it with IJ Scan Utility.  Please help!!

Announcements