Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: MX922 scanner problem message: set the pc to start scanning

Thank you, thehlb, for your contribution.  Almost 3 years later, I am a new purchaser of Canon products having bought the Canon Pixma MX922 and I immediately had the same problem figuring out the message, "set the pc to start scanning."  I previously purchased all HP products but someone recommended this Canon printer so I bought it.  Without the Canon Community, I would be lost!  I wish Canon would improve on their support.  HP has a print and scan doctor which when  uploaded resolves almost every problem you run across with a new product practically immediately.  Thank you all for your contriubtions! 

tt2
New Contributor

Hello,

I have windows 10 64 bit, can't find the disc that came with teh printer but I downloaded the driver online. I was able to setup the wireless printing but it does not work with scanner. When scanning it has that message, set the pc to start scanning.

Any tips to fix this?

Thank you,

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Search your computer for IJ Network Scanner Selector EX, and make sure scanner is selected, then select ok.  Even if it's ALREADY SELECTED, select ok.  (If you don't know how to search for it, most likely it's at OS C : Program Files (x86) >Canon > IJ Network Scanner Selection EX > CNMNSST) Now at the printer, push the Scan button, then "Save/Forward" (located in lower left corner of the little screen on the printer), hit the "ok"button (not by the little screen but on the printer itself, the one in the center of all the arrows). So you've said OK to the "Forward scanned data to a PC" prompt, now use the arrow to select your PC. Hit ok. You shouldn't have to go through that again unless it acts up again.  In general you'll just push the "start" button (which looks like a diamond with a line in it), either the green for color, or white for black & white scan.  If you're scanning from something placed on the platen, you'll have to select the button by "end" that appears in the little screen.  If you're feeding through the top, it will conclude you're done when all papers have gone through.  Your scan should save to your documents folder under IMG_date. This may be too rudimentary an explanation for what you need but this question comes up a lot so just going through the steps.

Product Expert

Hi tt2,

Please try these steps:

1.  Click on the Windows Start button, click on Canon Utilities, IJ Scan Utility and then the IJ Scan Utility to open that program.

2.  At the top, next to Product Name, please make sure Canon MX920 series Network is selected.

3.  Place an item face down on the scan glass of your PIXMA MX922.

4.  Click the AUTO button on the IJ Scan Utility.

Are you able to scan?

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Occasional Contributor

Canon Utilities> IJ Network Scanner Selector EX > Scan from Operation Panel Settings (button probably already selected) > MX920 series (may already have box checked, just select ok).  i.e. You may not change a thing, but somehow that gets it to work again, and you can now go back to scanning via the unit itself. If you need clarification on how to select the PC from the scanner once you've done that you can post back.

tt2
New Contributor

Hi, I have windows 10 and having the same issue when scanning. Please help.

Product Expert

Hi tt2,

You will need to have the Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector EX program running on your computer in order to scan from the operation panel of the printer. To ensure it is running, from the WINDOWS menu on your computer, select ALL APPS, then CANON UTILITIES, then IJ NETWORK SCANNER SELECTOR EX.

Once the program is running, please attempt to scan again.  Should you continue to experience difficulty, we ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative at one of the methods provided here for further assistance. A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
New Contributor

wireless scanner problem with canon mx920 . Saying set pc to start. I've been using this for awhile and never had a problem . Now its saying set pc to start. How do I fix this??

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

This has happened to me a few times.  Today I found a simple fix.

My printer is on a wired network on a switch.

First, I noticed that when this problem comes up, the lights on the port to which the printer is connected don't light up.

Ah-ha number one - something reset the printer to wireless.  Or something.

1) At the MX922, I go into menu button -> setup -> device settings -> LAN settings -> change wireless/wired and select wired.  When I do this, the lights on the switch at the MX922's port light up again.

2) At my PC, I go into the start menu -> Canon utilities -> IJ Network Scanner Selector EX -> click the button Scan-from-Operation-Panel Settings, click OK, then OK.

And now my PC shows up as an option in scan -> save/forward-> PC

I hope this helps others, it was reading posts here that helped me understand what is going on with my setup.

I suspect if your MX922 is on wireless, make sure that step 1 goes to wireless (or re-set it up) and the passwords necessary to access the wireless are entered in the MX922, then do step 2.

New Contributor

I have Windows 7 also and am unable to scan using my Cannon MG5522 devise.  This is really like handcuffs.  Renders this printer useless with what I need.