cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 not seen as TWAIN scanner

CrusaderDriver
Contributor

I received a Canoscan 5600F for Christmas with which I intend to scan 35mm slides and negatives.  Works great but it appears its drivers have hijacked my MX922 scanning capability.  I can only access the scanning function through quick menu vice directly in software.  My software no longer "sees" the scanner.

Is it possible to run both scanners (I can run two printers, the MX922 and the PRO-100), or is it either/or?

7 REPLIES 7

Crista
Whiz

Hi CrusaderDriver!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or OS 10.X) you are using and what programs or applications you are trying to scan to. That way, community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Thanks!

Windows 7/64 bit. Paintshop Pro X6. PSP 32& 64 bit do not see scanner as WIA device. Stopped seeing MX922 as TWAIN scanning device after installing The Canoscan drivers.

Hello.

The issue may be related to a setting in your program.  Some programs can only access one TWAIN source at a time.  Please check the settings for your Paintshop software to see if any adjustments can be made.

If you continue to have difficulties, please tell us if you can use the scanner with the scanning software that was included with each unit.  The MP Navigator is for the 5600F and our IJ Scan Utility is for the MX922.  Both of these programs use the TWAIN drivers.  If any errors occur please let us know.

If additional assistance is needed, feel free to call us at 1-800-OKCANON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This is my problem too and it is not a software issue. Please help. I am using windows 10 64 bit.

There a re a raft of W10/.Scanner connectuion issues posted here. I am not sure the W7 and W10 problem are the same.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi undercovergypsy,

It is recommended that you contact live technical support . There is NO charge for this call. Real time feedback of a live technical support call would be very beneficial in this case.

Please dial 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A Canon technical support representative will be able to resolve this issue faster.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Canon Support,

There is a way to make the MX922 (and I'm sure other models) work as a TWAIN scanner.  The trick is to get the scanner seen as a WSD device.  This is what I did:

1. Uninstall the software that came on the disk.

2. Download the driver version 1.01 from the Canon support page and install the driver.

3. Go to "scanners and printers" in Windows to see if the scanner is recognized.  This may take a couple of minutes.

4. If no scanners show up, check to see that SMBv1 is supported in the Windows installation.  There are many articles on how to know this -- it's different for every Windows version.  Win 10 now disables SMBv1 if it isn't enabled shortly after installation.  This is probably the reason Win 10 installations generally don't work.  On Win 10, you can turn SMBv1 on via the Windows Features part of "Uninstall a Program" in the control panel.  Win 7 users have to work to disable SMBv1 -- I did and discovered the scanner was no longer a WSD device afterward.

SMBv1 has become a vulnerability (Google "Wanna Cry") and has been deprecated since 2014.  Please submit a bug to development to support SMBv2 for WSD scan support and these threads will likely get greatly reduced.  I bet you're getting returns because people think that TWAIN scanning isn't supported.  After they find out the SMBv1 needs to be enabled, you may get more returns from the more security conscious crowd.  Personally, I hope Canon does the right thing and allows SMBv2 to access the TWAIN libraries.

Announcements