cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 With Text Ghosting Issue - Suggestions?

quangdog
Apprentice

I've had an MX922 that has printed well for a few years, but recently has developed a problem where it prints some lines of text just fine, but other lines in a document are printed with a ghosted copy of the text offset vertically just enough to make the text appear fuzzy and difficult to read. 

I'd done a basic and deep head cleaning. 

I've performed both an automatic and manual printhead alignment.

I've cleaned the encoder strip with a Q-Tip and some isopropyl alcohol.

I've printed a sample, then scanned it into an image to share here so you can see what I'm talking about: 

Ghosting Problems

Here is an extreme close-up: 

MX922 Ghosting Close-up

I've also printed the current nozzle test pattern, which looks like this: 

MX922 Nozzle Test Pattern

Note especially the PGBK pattern - it is sharp at the top and bottom, but progressively offset towards the middle of the pattern. 

Is there anything else I can do to resolve this? 

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

BillS
Mentor

Hi quangdog,

I have to admit, we don't get a lot of Russian literature in the forum, so thanks.

The example provided does look like an encoder issue, so let's clean it again, both front and back.  I have included full instructions for cleaning the encoder HERE.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for the suggestion. I've just re-cleaned the encoder strip (both sides) as well as I can - it's really difficult to reach into the printer far enough to get the entire thing, but I managed. 

New nozzle print check shows exactly the same pattern in the PGBK. No change at all. 

Any other suggestions?

Hi quangdog,

Many print quality issues can also be resolved by reseating the print head.  Full instructions for reseating the print head can be found HERE.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Bill 

Thanks for the suggestion to re-seat the print head. I not only did that, but also cleaned the print head with isopropyl alcohol. Nothing made any difference at all. I suspect it needs a new print head. In looking at options for purchasing a new print head, I discovered that Staples (an office suppy store near me) had this exact printer on sale for $69 US. This was at least $30 cheaper than I could find a replacement print head for, and I would not have to wait for a print head to ship to me. So I just bought another one, which I'll use until I run out of all the inks I have stocked up. Once that happens, I'm switching to a printer with larger ink tanks - probably from Epson. 

Thanks for the attempts to help.  

I have the exact same issue.  None of the "fixes" help at all.  Seems to be a mechanical defect with the Canon printer.  I noticed its only an issue with the PGBK.  Is there anyway to get the printer to only draw from the smaller black cartridge?

I've experienced the same Ghosting issue.  I've tried all the suggestions including replacing the print head.  The printer rejects the new print head although it's a Canon product.  I've also noticed that my mail headers are scrambled  in the print preview.  I'm starting to think it's a Microsoft software problem that's causing all this....  I wonder if Apple users have this problem with their MX922 printer.

Effiejr
Apprentice

I have the same printer and been using for a couple of years, and now having the same issues. The print out shown and the cleaning are exactly the same as what is shown on samples. Did this problem ever get resolved? Is this an inherent problem on the MX922

It was never resolved. Required a new print head. Back when I had this problem, buying an entire new printer was the same cost as a replacement print head... so I bought another MX922, and it's been working fine ever since.

Aha.  That indiicates tos me that Canon has an end-of-life cycle sub-program imbedded in their software that's causing this problem....

Announcements