cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 Support Code 1403

yaholkoj
Apprentice

I've had my MX922 for several years and it has worked fine.  After printing something two days ago, I went to print something and I got a support code 1403:  The type of print head is incorrect.  Install the correct print head.  Now I have had those print heads in for months, so it wasn't a new print head. How can I reset this printer or remove the error code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I ended up calling Customer Support who said the 1403 code meant the printer was toast. They said I was eligible for upgrade discount, so I took it. Could have bought a new MX922 for less than I could have gotten one on Amazon, but chose to go for an MB2021, also less than on Amazon.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39

G'day MJ

1st set the printer up to where you can access the cartridges, then turn the power off. This will allow you to move the head back and forth.

I took all the cartridges out and cleaned them with lint free tissue and cotton buds. I also cleaned in and around where they fit into.

I then cleaned all the rails and rollers as much as I could get to without dismantling anything.

Next I blotted up as much ink as I could from the little felt blotters where the heads rest at idle on the RHS. These felt blotters, I think are the main problem. You will find that there is quite a lot of ink in these blotters(I used 2-3 tissues to soak it up).

I didn't take the head out at all.

As I stated in an earlier post, I had the issue many years ago with odd error codes on a heap of Canon printers we were using at the time, and cleaning these felt blotters solved the issue.

From memory I think the felt pads can be taken out and I washed them in Metholated spirits or white spirits, dried them and replaced them and away the printer went.

All up about 5 - 8 minutes work.

Lets know how you go.

regards

I think the problem in my case is different because, when I move the print head from one printer to another, the fault goes with it.  The problem, in my case, is therefore not in the printer, but in the head itself.

This is not to say that the error 1403 cannot be caused by ink or dirt which appears to have been the cause in your case.  

In summary:

• First try to clean the area around the print head.
  • If the fault remains then, if possible, try to install the print head in another printer (printer B).
  • If printer (B) shows the 1403 error message, then the print head is faulty.
  • Otherwise it is the original printer that is causing the error.

Given those circumstances, I think your right.

All that remains to do is compare the price of a new head against the price of a new printer.

I tried all the suggestions. Nothing it didn't happen until I replaced the ink. Only had both of my printers for 18 mos.  Cannon fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I will put this in the trash and I assure everyone I will not be buying another Cannon. Does anyone have any suggestions on what brand to get? 

its so true, I loved this printer, using it for the last 6yrs.+ but  they don't last more than 2yrs. or less. I was keep buying and keep trashing it, Finally got tired of it as soon as I purchased my 4th, Printer and NOW less than 8 months, TRASH AGAIN.!

ERROR CODE 1403 never went away, I tiried everything they told me, NO LUCK. 

* Never buy CANON MX Printer again.. 

( moderate usage for last 6yrs. with 4 MX printers replaced ). 

ALL TRASHED NOW, NO MORE THIS PRINTER (sad).

BROTHER laserjet PRINTER is far better, but its not a color printer, using it for last 20yrs. as well. (No FAX, No Scan). 

I have the mg7520. Bought a new prit head and still get the error code 1403. Next i will purchase new ink. Install them on the new cartridge and get back to you on what happens. If i were a betting man. I'd say the printers toast.

budvv
Contributor

Got the same code today on my mx926. Looking at all the info on the net regarding this I came across someone who fixed it by cleaning a 'sensor' close to the print head. Also came across a recommendation to clean the rails and rollers etc.

So I got a tissue, removed the ink cartridges, moved the head out of the way and cleaned everything I could get to without dismantling the printer. Hey presto! it is now working.

Budvv, 

Thanks for your input.  I will try that.  The sensor description seemed to vague, but your process sounds achievable.  Will post what happens!

ukamericano
Apprentice

I too just experienced the same issue on my 4-year-old MX922. The printer cartridges were all replaced just 4 days ago and the printer was working fine...until today. Support Code 1403. 

I will wipe down the inner workings of the printer to see if that helps, but don't you find it odd that all of us are experiencing the same issue within a few days? I do.

I have had a further thought on this issue. About 20 years ago we had about 30 small Canon printers and after some time began to fail with unknown error codes.

Canon were no help.

What it turned out to be was that the little felt blotters where the head sat were filling up with ink.

Somehow there was a sensor that detected when they were full, and it stopped working.

I did notice on my MX926 that there were felt pads in there and my tissue soaked up a lot of ink from them.

I will wait until it fails again to see if this is the issue or not.

If any of you have the problem and are able to clean or soak up the ink from them, then let us know if it helps.

This is about the usage of the printer more than the time you have had it.

I suspect that the make of ink cartridges might have a bearing on it, if this is the problem.

Announcements