cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 Support Code 1403

yaholkoj
Apprentice

I've had my MX922 for several years and it has worked fine.  After printing something two days ago, I went to print something and I got a support code 1403:  The type of print head is incorrect.  Install the correct print head.  Now I have had those print heads in for months, so it wasn't a new print head. How can I reset this printer or remove the error code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I ended up calling Customer Support who said the 1403 code meant the printer was toast. They said I was eligible for upgrade discount, so I took it. Could have bought a new MX922 for less than I could have gotten one on Amazon, but chose to go for an MB2021, also less than on Amazon.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39

shirley7318
Apprentice

Please dont despire! Try this:

1. turn it on, and vigorously hit Home or Menu, or selection button until the set up screen shows,

2. choose auto print head allighment.

Try several times!  Mine was solved in the fourth try!

Thank you!!! It worked on my fourth try! Iafter cleaning my printhead, it refused to recognize the head at all. So glad I found you! Thank you!!!!

What worked for me was soaking a rag in alcohol and wiping down all around inside near where the printhead rests on the right. Be careful to avoid the "encoder stripe" which is 1/4" wide, up above it in the back. It has little black lines on a clear stripe... avoid touching that... i touched mine and had to spend another 10 minutes with a new rag just wiping it down til it was free of streaks.

Otherwise, all i did was stick the alcohol soaked rag in there and soaked up what appears to be a "waste sponge" on the right side...closed it up and put the ink back in, and it printed 3 sheets successfully so far... much better than having to "send this to canon" and have them fix it.

barrykd
Apprentice

I own 2 MX922s. I bought one in 2015. It died with the infamous 1403 print head error code.  I tried every fix on this and other forums multiple times.  No luck.  This problem was so common there was a class action suit that Canon settled with users. I bought a Squaretrade guarantee with that machine, extending the 1 year Canon warranty to 2 years. Naturally, it died 2 years and one month after the purchase. So, like a complete idiot and figuring it was perhaps a fluke, I bought another one. Now, just one month shy of 2 years that one is dead as well. This time it won't even turn on. 

I called Canon and their representative acknowledged the class action suit, but indicated the period for remedy has expired (I didn't know about the suit until now). As for the newer machine, it is past the 1 year warranty period, so I have 2 boat anchors as far as Canon is concerned. I asked if it was common for these machines to die after 2 years, especially given their admitted class action suit. The representative actually told me that most electronics only last about that long. 

REALLY??? That's their sales pitch? Most electronics only last about 2 years, so tough luck. Holy... I have an HP printer that I use for my business. I've owned it since 2006. It's still chugging away. My advice - DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE, OR ANYTHING FROM CANON. They have an inferior product, legal action verified that, and they don't care. If you buy it, buyer beware. Thank heavens I bought the 2nd machine with an American Express card. I plan on using their warranty extension policy to get my money back. Canon may not support users, but American Express does. And yes, I'm an idiot for buying two machines from this company

northernlitez
Apprentice

NEVER BUYING CANNON AGAIN!!!! I got this code also. Printer isn't even 3 years old and only a pricy fix!! Don't bother with the class action for this piece of cannon junk either. You have to submit proof that you paid out of pocket expenses to fix this issue and they will give you a whole $50.00 credit to spen in CANNON online store!! Insult to injury. I am ordering an HP. Cannon cheats their customers!!

I totally agree with you. I was big fan of this MX, I loved it, but keep breaking with silly Error code. Not able to fix, 6yrs. 4 printers went to dump. So sad.... I tried everything to make it work, last one lasted only 8 months, very mild usage, mostly Scanning documents, not even Printing. i do have another BROTHER Laserjet printer using it last 22+yrs. only replaced 3 to 4 but its not a COLOR, No scan, No fax.

roger922
Apprentice

I have been using Canon MX for 3yrs. this time  error 1403. Tried to clean print head, no luck. Call helpdesk told me I need to re-install driver/software corrupted issue not the hardware, but I know...they playing games with me charging $189 to Fix via remotely i have corrupted driver due to virus got into my driver via wi-fi network.    haha...so funny.  

(  just in 3 yrs. 4 Canon Printers gone bad).

I think, I am DONE with CANON Printers, lost so much money, not a good quality of product. NO MORE CANON PRINTERS.

IF U give me Free, I still don't wanna it anymore. Thank you. ( Serial # AEYK01341). 

bekkabrat71
Apprentice
I pulled the entire print head cartridge out of the printer and ran the entire thing underneath hot water being sure to rinse each print head pad individually thereby washing out all of the ink that had built up in the print heads, reinstalled the print head and it worked like a charm, no more support code 1403!

Julsintx
Apprentice
My MX922 4 yrs old threw the support code 1403 today. I am in the process of doing what bekkabrat71 did but following youtube video and not getting back strip wet. I used a dropper and kept pushing water through each felt pad until no ink came out (after I watched a different video to pull out the printer head). What a pain. All drying now, after I'll see if it works when I get it all back together. It better

Hey Canon, you know other manufacturers sell printers right??? I wonder.

If doesn't work, I'll trash it with a sledgehammer because this took me most of the day. Then I'll buy a new printer that isn't CANON.

daanton2004
Apprentice

I have same problem after 6 years of using Pixma MG7750. I buy new original sealed Canon print head, I put new cartridges but I have same error as original head : 1403. So, what a hell is happening ?

Announcements