cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 PGBK Twisted Grid (see pix)

endeitz
Apprentice

I have tried deep clean, printer head alignment, etc.  Still, text is blurry and the "grid" comes out twisted:

http://postimg.org/image/58s24c331/

15 REPLIES 15

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi endeitz,

Based on your description of the issue, the Encoder Film inside the printer may be smeared.  Please follow the procedures below to check the film condition, and clean it when necessary:

1.  Press the power button to turn your PIXMA MX922 off.

2.  Unplug the power cord from the printer.  Be sure to turn off the printer power and unplug the power cord first.

3.  Open the Paper Output Cover.

4.  Check if the Encoder Film inside the printer is clear.  The Encoder Film is the transparent thin film.  Please view the image at the bottom of this post.

5.  If the Encoder Film is smeared as shown in the image, it needs to be cleaned.

6.  Place a few drops of neutral detergent (2 to 3 drops of neutral detergent in 1/4 cup of tap water) on a cotton swab with water. CAUTION: Do not use any other detergents.

7.  Moisten a cotton swab with the prepared cleaning water. Eliminate extra water so that no water drops.

8.  Using the moistened cotton swab, wipe the Encoder Film.  CAUTION: Be cautious so that no water drops inside the printer.

CAUTION:  Do not contact the rail. If the rail is contacted, the print quality may be deteriorated. The Encoder Film is fixed to the printer with the springs at the ends. If the film is pushed too strong, it may be dislocated. Do not push the film. Just gently move the cotton swab over the surface of the film.

Also, please keep your hands off the printer and clean the film with the tip of the cotton swab.  Change the cotton swab to new ones frequently.

9.  Eliminate any stains or smearing from the film until the entire film becomes transparent and clear.

10.  If the trail of detergent is left on the film, clean it using a cotton swab that is moistened with just water.  If moisture is left on the film, eliminate it using a dry cotton swab, and wait until the film dries well.

11.  Close the Paper Output Cover, and plug in the power cord of the printer.

12.  Press the power button to turn your PIXMA MX922 on.

13.  Please print a test page.

14.  If the problem persists, check and clean the Encoder Film again.

If the print quality is still not improved, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Encoder strip.jpg

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I'm having the exact same problem with my MX922. I've tried cleaning the head, cleaning the band as suggested above, and performing alignment multiple times-- all with no success. 

Can someone from Canon provide another reason/solution for this issue?

Thanks

Hi jeff12,

If performing print head alignments and cleaning the encoder film of the printer did not resolve the issue, the printer will most likely need servicing.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain your servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Cleaning the encoder film did not help the problem at all -- just wasted more time.

My printer is a MG7120 with the same problem (and looks like a lot of the Canon printers have this problem).  Only switching the paper type to matte photo or high-resolution paper (which stops using the PGBK ink) has worked.  This is wasteful, SLOW, and worse quality for text.  

After all the canon support suggestions failed (including cleaning the encoder film multiple times); I puchased all new ink & a printerhead cleaning kit.  I spent another whole day cleaning the printer head manually.  I wasted a ton of ink doing a bunch of nozzle checks, printhead alignments, deep cleanings, etc.  The only thing that works is to NOT use the PGBK cartridge.  

Why isn't canon addressing this problem that LOTS of people are having on multiple models?  Sounds like the printerhead needs to be replaced but canon won't admit that or supply new heads.  

Its CRAZY that canon won't give us a new printer head for free.  Heck I want them to also give me replacement ink for what I wasted trying to solve this problem that is obviously in their hardware or firmware.  Ugh.  So dissapointed.  

The process you have linked to for cleaning the encoder film is impossible to follow. The pictures and the guide do not match the MX922, and on the MX922, the film is almost completely inaccessible even when the ink tanks are out of the way. You absolutely have no access to anything more than the very center of the film. People here saying they followed those steps on an MX922 are flat out lying. It can't be done without taking the printer apart. FYI, even the pictures you posted in your reply are NOT from an MX922.

Hi ikeels,

Please click HERE for a more in depth guide on cleaning the encoder strip. If you run into any issues, please contact our support group at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM EST(excluding holidays). 

dvgibson
Apprentice

I have the same problem and tried all sorts of ways to clean the print head, which has to be the problem. Could be still clogged in the middle but since so many of us have the same problem I think it is a failure, and it makes printing text impossible. 

The encoder band is not clear. It is clear plastic with dots printed on it that positions the print head from left to right. That being smeared with ink would affect all of the print heads. 

I guess I am going to try a new print head. 

David

jalt
Apprentice

I've had this same problem for several weeks. I tried all the suggestions mentioned in the previous comments here. Nothing works to fix the problem. After spending hours on this, I finally ordered a new printer from a different manufacturer. I'm finished with Canon printers.

drcherepanov
Apprentice

This is not an encoder issue nor printer head misalignment. And printer head is not clogged. It cannot be repaired since your printer nozzles are damaged. It could be caused for example by low quality cheap pigment inks you used. You can replace a printer head. They are quite vulnerable, that's why Canon made it so easy to replace.

Announcements