cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 OCR of a PDF

Scoob123
Apprentice

Hello,

I use to own a MX890 and use the MP Navigator software that came with it.  I'd scan documents and the OCR pdfs worked great.  Well that printer died and I replaced by the MX922.  It does come with OCR but it converts it to a word pad document.  Is there any way to have it do the OCR to the pdf instead? Or is there a way to get the MP Navigator software to work with the new printer?

5 REPLIES 5

Ramona
Authority

Hi Scoob123,

The MP Navigator program is not compatible with the PIXMA MX922, however, you can use the IJ Scan Utility that comes with the printer to scan in a document in a PDF format.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Place the documents in the ADF or on the platen glass of the printer.

2. Start the IJ Scan Utility.

3. In the Canon IJ Scan Utility window that opens, click SETTINGS.... in the bottom right of the window. The Settings dialog box appears.

4. Click the DOCUMENT SCAN option on the left pane of the window.  In the Select Source field of the Scan Options section, select DOCUMENT (ADF/PLATEN) to scan items placed directly on the platen glass, DOCUMENT (ADF SIMPLEX) to perform single-sided scanning from the ADF, or DOCUMENT (ADF DUPLEX) to perform double-sided scanning using the ADF.  You can then set the item size, resolution, etc. in the Scan Options section as desired.  

5. In the SAVE SETTINGS section of the window, you will select the save format and location of the document you are about to scan.

a.) In the FILE NAME field, specify the name you would like to give the file. By default the filename will begin with IMG; you can remove IMG and change it to whatever you would like to name the file.

b.) In the DATA FORMAT field, use the drop-down arrow to select the desired option. If you are scanning a multipage document, select the PDF (Multiple Pages) option.

c.) In the SAVE IN field, please navigate to the area where you would like the file to be saved once it is scanned in. By default, the file will be saved in the MY DOCUMENTS folder.

6. Once all settings have been selected, click the OK button at the bottom of the SETTINGS (DOCUMENT SCAN) window. The IJ Scan Utility main screen appears.

7. Click the DOCUMENT button. Scanning starts. Click the CANCEL button to cancel scanning if needed. Scanned images are saved in previously selected folder location specified in the SETTINGS... window.

Please note that the PDF file will not be modifiable unless you have a program that can modify PDF files.  If you would like to modify the text that was scanned, you can copy and paste the contents of the PDF file into a word processing program and modify it from there.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This response did not really answer the question. The question was about scanning to an OCR pdf, not to a standard non-searchable pdf.

Please could you also explain why MP Navigator EX is not compatible with the MX922. Is it a technical reason? The machine doesn't seem significantly different from the MX890.

Thank you for your response.  You're correct that the standard/canned response wasn't helpful.  I've come across it before in my searches for help with this issue.  At this point I'm trying to locate after market OCR software that doesn't involve sending documents to the cloud.  The only reason I went with the MX922 was that is was suppose to be very similar to the previous line of printers and could do OCR.  It's just all the reading I did failed to point out that the OCR isn't very useful now.

I hope someone replies and can explain why the MP Navigator EX software can't be used or made to work with this printer model.  It was more user friendly than the current software that comes with the MX922.

Scoob123 and Naeduk72,

Are you having a problem with not being able to open a PDF and search for a keyword?  Or are you having a problem where the you can search for words when the PDF is open, but can't find them by keyword through a Windows Search?

Gary

grape
Apprentice

Check out this post

Re: [SOLVED] MX922 - Scan to Searchable PDF

Announcements