cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 Not Printing Color

Dawarczy
Contributor

Good evening.  It appears I'm totally frustrated with this printer.  It started with the Cyan not printing properly and after changing cartridges and doing a clean and deep clean, it didn't help.  I used a purchased print head cleaning kit and follow the instructions to a T but after all of it, it stopped printing colors completely.  I'd gone through all pertinent steps in trying to solve the issue and decided it was a bad print head.  After all, we'd had the printer a few years.  So I spent $100+ on a Canon print head, installed it and no new results.  I'd gone through deep cleaning steps et al and at this point I'm stumped.

I'm looking for a direction someone might point to me.  I'm tech literate (spent half my career in the field) but most of my experience has been laserjet printers.

Thanks for your time.

Doug

P.S. - As an aside, I tried to do an automatic head alignment and it errored out with a support code of 2500.

5 REPLIES 5

JayC1
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi. I understand the frustration that you have experienced with your printer. Canon does not recommend replacing a print head in this situation because it is possible that there is an issue with the printer. If there is another issue (such as the purge unit no longer cleaning the print head properly), installing a new print head is not going to help.

Please note that a print head alignment will fail if the print head nozzles are clogged.

The only recommended way of cleaning the print head is using the printer's built-in maintenance feature. Any other way of cleaning the print head can damage that part or the printer.

When you first notice issues with printing, we recommend printing a nozzle check pattern to determine which nozzles are clogged. If the test pattern shows issues with one of the colors, we recommend performing a cleaning. Then, print another pattern to see if the issue has been resolved.

If one cleaning does not help, you should do a deep cleaning, and then print another test pattern. If the issue is still not resolved, we recommend waiting 4-6 hours before doing a second deep cleaning. During that wait time, the ink may soak through the clog and loosen it. You can do a third deep cleaning the next day if the problem persists.

For more information on what to do when you see issues with your prints, please see:
(Windows) https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Manual/W/MX920%20series/EN/BG/Bg-Maintenance1000.html 

(Mac) https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Manual/M/MX920%20series/EN/BG/Bg-Maintenance1000.html 

If a third deep cleaning does not help, we recommend replacing the printer. There are no service options. The MX922 does have a one-year warranty.

If the warranty has expired, you are eligible for a discount with Canon's Upgrade Program. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a new or refurbished product that uses Canon’s newest technologies, including such features as built-in WiFi, Airprint and Cloud Print, carries a one year limited manufacturer’s warranty, and to help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free ground shipping.

If you would like to take advantage of this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Time), Monday through Saturday. Let them know you have been working with chat support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

I hope this information helps. Thanks for choosing Canon.

Thanks, Jay...I appreciate the ideas and honesty.

I saw this post while researching the same problem with my TS9020.

I'm wondering if the discount offer would apply to me as well.

My printer started printing only in a light magenta for general printing and color copying, and would only print black on B&W copying, never on regular printing.  Since both black cartridges were running low (they still showed ink in the status), I replaced both with genuine Canon cartridges.

I did the nozzle check and only got the grid for PGBK and Magenta.  All the other colors were blank (the left hand column indicating the color printed in Magenta.

I cleaned the heads 2X and got the same results.  I then did a deep cleaning and the nozzle check printout only had the PGBK row.  Nothing else printed excpet for: 901 - 950 Pages Ver. 2.040 at the bottom of the page.

Things seem to be going from bad to worse.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks.

Just as an FYI to this post, I ended up buying a used printer online of the same model I had simply because it was such a workhorse for me...and I wasn't fond of current offerings. Hopefully, this one lasts long enough to warrant the couple hundred I paid.

I had to do a factory reset of the printer after installing a new print head in order to get it to print the colours. Before that only the PGBK worked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aedPja3XL_I
Announcements