cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 FAX "HiJacks" my phone calls!

jebco
Apprentice

My new MX922 AIO printer was purchased yeserday. Set up yesterday went smoothly with virtually no issues. All printing scanning and FAXing functions work as expected. However when I receive voice calls, usually 30 seconds into my voice call, the FAX portion of the printer thinks that a FAX is coming in and HiJacks the call and waits for a non-existent FAX. At first I thought it was a fluke but it has happened three times today without warning.  I have tried changing the FAX setup to auto answer and manual mode without any difference in the machines behavior.

Is this a feature or a bug!!!

Please help!

15 REPLIES 15

MarkII
Rising Star

Hi jebco,

The good news is that this is likely not a bug. It seems like your receive mode setting is incorrect.  We have an excellent article in our Knowledge Base on selecting and setting the correct receive mode for your printer.  The article can be found here: Setting the Receive Mode MX922.

If you have any other questions or need help selecting the receive mode that is right for you, please feel free to Contact Us!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am having the same issue with my MX922 "hijacking" incoming phone calls after a few minutes of talk time.

After reading the article referenced in the Canon Knowledge Base, I switched both the TEL priority mode AND the User-friendly reception modes to OFF, but the problem still continues!!

What can I do to stop the unacceptable problem? I am using a cable modem. Also, Canon previously exchanged my original MX922 with a replacement. unit in attempt to cure this problem....

Bob

gaf
Contributor

I have the same intermittent problem. I tried just about every combination of fax-settings in the manual and the KB article, to no avail. After several (or in one case, about 10) minutes of talk, one party to the call (there is no pattern to which one) hears fax tones, and the call is dropped. I wonder, though, whether this actually is fax-sending mode, rather than fax-receiving mode. The audible signal is evenly spaced beeps, rather than the static-like noise that one hears from a remote fax-machine that is answering with its "handshake." I think that the evenly spaced beeps are the signal generated by a sending fax-machine to initiate a remote connection. I found an old Product Advisory on this problem, at http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e0248004cd67 but the MX922 was not among the models addressed.

Thanks for the input...it looks like I'm not alone with this problem.

I wish Canon would suggest a fix!

By the way, I tried to access the Product Advisory to which you referred, but I could not connect to it with the URL that you sent.

I hope we can get some help!!! 

gaf
Contributor

Yes, not alone, although I wonder how many others are affected. I apologize about the URL. Did it send you to a blank "Product Advisories" page? I think the fault is the comma that is included at the end of the URL. Try it w/o the comma (let me know if that doesn't work). I wrote to Canon Tech Support, which sent me an extensive reply ultimately suggesting that I take the unit (still under warranty) to an authorized repair shop. But in light of your having unsuccessfully had yours replaced, I am hesitant to do so.

gaf, I fixed your URL above.

Bob1,

Welcome to the Canon Forums!

The Forums aren't intended for immediate assistance. If your question is of an urgent nature, please feel free CONTACT US by phone and we'll get you up and running as quickly as possible!

Thanks, Stephen! And good to know about contacting by phone.

I turned off the "Remote RX" in the FAX settings and this seems to have solved the problem....at least for now.

gaf
Contributor

Thanks for this suggestion--I will try it.

Announcements