cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 Code 1403 Error

cwhuggins
Apprentice

MX922 is two years old. Was getting steaking and missing colors that did not resolve with head cleaning.
Ordered new print head, installed it and immediately got 1403 error. Put in old head and it now also gets 1403 error.
Printer gets 1403 error without any print head installed.  Canon support says it needs to be sent in for repair to fix it. If repair service can fix it, why can't Canon tell users what the possible fixes are.  I know how to completely take
apart this printer and could replace the main board, or waste ink tank, etc if I kne w it would fix the problem.  Main boards
don't seem to be that expensive.  Now the only fix I have is a 5 lb sledge hammer.

3 REPLIES 3

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi cwhuggins,

Since the 1403 error code appears even without a print head, then there is a internal issue that is causing a false error to appear. There is no way to trouble shoot that over the phone nor are there schematics Canon can provide to fix the printer yourself. 

Since the printer is out of warranty, you qualify for the Canon Upgrade program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST. Let them know you have been working with technical support and that the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Same thing happened to me this morning on my PIXMA MG6821. I located & followed Cannon's support instructions to the letter; it failed to return the brick to service. So I did a lot of checking. Here's a summary:

As you may have seen, Cannon lost a class action suit about this print technology. Alas, it is far too late to join the class. The product group is clearly defective. If you're like me, you now have NO remedy for purchasing a defective product.

As you may have found on their website, Cannon has DISCONTINUED SUPPORT for the IFTTT platform, which includes this printer. I gather this applies to PAID support as well. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. If you can't return it to the retailer, you're rogered. 

As you may have found on these forums, if removing, servicing, and replacing the print head does not resolve the error, your only recourse is to buy a replacement print head. It can cost more than the printer did, and it is not certain to resolve the issue. 

Given that this follows on an atrocious set-up/configuration effort when first purchased, after which I gave up the effort to set up for Air Print and used a printer cable, I am DONE. 

On top of that, the 'discount' they're offering is off of the MSRP of a new piece of their junk. So if you want to buy another Cannon doorstop, you'll waste less money buying elsewhere. They're even ripping you off when they act like they're doing you a favor.

So my thinking is:

DO NOT WASTE TIME OR MONEY ON THIS JUNK. DO NOT BUY CANNON PRODUCTS OR SUPPLIES. YOUR ONLY OPTION IS TO SPREAD THE WORD so that others do not get RIPPED OFF.

I gave up on this printer several weeks ago and took it to a recycle center.  I then bought an HP

printer.  I had purchased a new print head for the MX922 (e-bay, from china) and immediately got
the 1403 error.  It may have damaged the main board.  I was able to get half my money back.

If Canon would just make their replacement heads less expensive this might not have happened
and I would still be a Canon customer.  Not any more.

Announcements