cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX920 spring fell out

wguru
Contributor

While clearing a paper jam in my Canon MX920 multi-function printer a small 5/16"x1.75" compression spring fell out.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0nN2a_xojvPX0NsU0NIaHR5MGM/view?usp=sharing

I think it's intended to keep the lower paper tray feed mechanism in tight contact with the paper in the tray (8.5x11).  The printer still seems to work but I'd rather put the spring back where it belongs.  

Can someone send me a link to a diagram to show where the spring is supposed to be?  

Thanks.

--Long time Canon customer--

27 REPLIES 27

schuetzin
Apprentice
Only one little problem remained since: the paper gets thrown out of the printer a little bit too fast or strong. So the papers don't always stack on top but skid off the tray. But it's not a showstopper.

PaoloMx925
Apprentice

same issue here!

seems o be a common issue, for some reasons my 925 was not able to pick up the photo printer A4 PAPER so I added more normal paper on the bottom...it worked but after a while the spring come out...hope someone will post a photo showing where is supposed to be installed back though the printer still works fine

Zoey77
Apprentice
I would appreciate pic or a diagram to fix the spring that has come out.Thank you

Like most people I don't have a picture as once it was fixed I wasn't going to mess with it.

1. Take paper trays out.

a. Curse about how much toner costs for this infernal machine and dedicate yourself to not wasting a lot of time fixing it. 

2. Flip Printer on it's back end (the empty paper tray slots are now sticking stright up and the scanner is facing away from you)

a. There is a long roller bar (black) that flops up and down because the spring is missing.

3. Pull that bar toward you to look behind it, in the middle of the width of the roller bar, on the printer itself (not the bar), you will see a little black nub/nipple/cone, approximately the size of the spring and maybe 1/4 high.

4. With patience, push one end of the spring on there, over the top, like a sweatshirt over an unruly child.  It will try to take it off if you don't keep pressure on it. 

5. With patience, try to line the spring up with fingers from two hands on both sides to make the spring straighten out. 

6. It should seat itself in the back of the above mentioned floppy roller bar and push it away from the nub/nipple/cone towards the paper in the trays that will eventually be placed back in the printer.

I did get a random error about it not sensing paper after I fixed this and you may have to hit OK but I've only seen the error once.    

I really hope this helps and shame on Canon for not being more user friendly and not researching this a tad better. 

Great advice!  Fixed my printer!!!  Thank you for all the instructions!  And you made me laugh too!!!

I did all this and the spring is properly seated. Repeatedly receive the Error message that there is not paper in the designated tray. There is plenty of paper. Any ideas? Canon CS was totally useless. I can still print photos from the upper tray. Thanks

I gave up on putting the spring back in on this 922 for printing but still kept it for some scanning.
But last weekend a power surge from our DTE transformer exploding took out a replacement printer (& dishwasher, microwave, phone system, several power strips and GSI outlets) so since I still had the spring that fell out and had found this 2020 reply, I decided to attack the spring reinstall.
I got the spring back in so the paper would feed but now nothing prints even though the cartridges have ink and I've cleaned and deep cleaned the nozzles and realigned the print heads. 
Using a cheap replacement printer for now.
But here are my photos and video clip of the spring re-install and the homemade tool I used in case it helps someone else: 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/31KwAhVpxb49RjL37

jlomiller
Apprentice
Not sure what else you can do. Mine just worked right after I got the spring back in.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements