cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX920 spring fell out

wguru
Contributor

While clearing a paper jam in my Canon MX920 multi-function printer a small 5/16"x1.75" compression spring fell out.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0nN2a_xojvPX0NsU0NIaHR5MGM/view?usp=sharing

I think it's intended to keep the lower paper tray feed mechanism in tight contact with the paper in the tray (8.5x11).  The printer still seems to work but I'd rather put the spring back where it belongs.  

Can someone send me a link to a diagram to show where the spring is supposed to be?  

Thanks.

--Long time Canon customer--

27 REPLIES 27

Any chance you could post the pictures or email them to me, or give me your email? I have exact same problem and would appreciate it. [Removed personal information per Forum Guidelines]. Thanks!

if you could also help me out with some pics, that would be great. i had suspected what you had described where the spring should go on the end with the plastic 'nose', but how to fix it to the roll? really hard to see there.

It worked: used a knitting needle (handy thing) to guide the spring into place, compressed it a bit and it almost snapped into the rollerbar. Now everything works smoothely again - great. A fix of five minutes.

Hello, I have the exact same problem. Request your help in understanding this better.

I also found a loose spring when my paper stopped feeding from the lower tray.  The advice here to look behind the middle of the roller and corresponding portion of the printer too see wher it mounts was the direction i needed.

I think my spring was modestly distorted and couldn't get it to fit suggly behind the roller and then slip other half onto the roller itself.

Here's what worked for me:

Overview:  Decided to remove roller.  found a straw that spring fir within and snipped a very short length - few mms - and "lightly" glued /tacked them where the spring was supposed to naturally seat.  I then lightly glued one end of the spring into the printer (as opposed to roller) seat.  I reinstalled the roller and was able to use finger and small screwdriver to slip the loose end of the spring into the roller seat.

1. To remove roller need to loosen plastic wrap around middle of printer.  At back, there are two sets of two screws, I removed one set which let the "wrap flex"

2. slide out/remove upper and lower trays.

3. turn printer over or on side, removed one of the white tray guides(facing bottom, i removed one on left.)  requires some bending, wiggling, manuevering to remove

4. "unspring" roller on that side (left) and then on right side, which requires extra bending, wiggling and manuevering as gears on that right side

5.  with roller romeved, identify small "button" in center area that spring fits upon.  you can just slip and lightly glue spring on it or use a little snippet of wide straw as an extra "seat"  by slipping that over it, insert straw and applyu light glue.  leave sping pointing out

6. on the roller, there is a little box the spring should sit in.  Again, lightly glue a snippet of wide straw into the box to create a more secure seat.

7.  reinsert roller, right side first and then left.  Manuever loose end of spring into roller seat.  make sure roller is pushed out by the spring but is easily pushed in and bounces back.  this spring action is what allows tray to be removed and inserted and then have roller maintain contact to feed sheets even as paper supply decreases.

8.  reinstall white tray guide - tab at one end has to go in first and then the other end manuervered in.  

9.  I inserted tray with half oad of paper at this point and tested (copy a blank sheet) - didn't work- kept trying to feed.

10.  Filled feeder, tried again and worked.  Hoping it will work at leasrt if try is more than half full.  Maybe more once it kind of "settles in"

11.  screwed in remaining screws.

Once I had a plan, job took about 30 minutes.  Initial fruitless afforts and coming up with plan to remove roller took at least 30-60 minutes.

If you are lucky you can slip spring back in place but I couldn't and marvel that anyone could.  Try for 10 minutes then try above.

Be careful not to break plastic tabs and bits - I was willing to toss it ioif I broke it.

Good luck.

I too had my MX920 spring fall out after clearing a paper jam.  From what I could tell if I keep the paper loaded well it wasn't a problem but this answer helped me fix it.   It took about 5 mins as well as I aligned the spring with the back roller blade.  Thanks for the answer.

Hi! I had the same problem. Paper jam and spring fell out. Followed your instructions and spring appears to be back in place.  It looks curved but appears to work as far as applying sufficient pressure to hold the foller to the height of the paper. However, I still get the message “load paper”, regardless of how much paper is in there. Any ideas? I’ve done a hard reset twice, to no avail. Done the roller clean twice. O. The upper cassette works fine...thank you for anything you can suggest

I found a 26 mm long X 5 mm diameter spring laying in front of my Canon PC941 after I changed paper holders from letter to legal. Not sure if Murphy put it there to agitate me or if it belongs to the copier. I removed the bottom of the copier and searched for possible place for the spring. No luck. Downloaded the service manual. Cannot find the spring there. Help?

read ideas above and my subsequent efforts to describe my solve.

Can anyone send me pics of how to put the spring back in place ? or where to put it 

Announcements