cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX920 spring fell out

wguru
Contributor

While clearing a paper jam in my Canon MX920 multi-function printer a small 5/16"x1.75" compression spring fell out.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0nN2a_xojvPX0NsU0NIaHR5MGM/view?usp=sharing

I think it's intended to keep the lower paper tray feed mechanism in tight contact with the paper in the tray (8.5x11).  The printer still seems to work but I'd rather put the spring back where it belongs.  

Can someone send me a link to a diagram to show where the spring is supposed to be?  

Thanks.

--Long time Canon customer--

27 REPLIES 27

Ramona
Authority

Hi wguru,

When a part comes out of the printer, we recommend having the unit serviced to have the part replaced.  Please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page to obtain servicing options available to you.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the reply but it seems silly to send the whole unit in for repair when it's pretty obvious that the spring dropped out of the feed unit which I'm pretty sure I can put back if only I had a picture/diagram of exactly where it belongs there.  Surely someone at Canon has a detailed service diagram.  

Or maybe someone out there can take a photo of the bottom of their MX920 with paper cartridges removed and point to where this spring is installed to keep the feed mechanism pressed down onto the bottom paper supply.  Right now gravity seems to do that for my unit without spring installed so the printer works just fine...  but I'd rather help the spring return home.  

I had the same problem.  I was trying to clear a paper jam and a spring fell out.  I called Canon support and told them what happend and they said since it was printing I had nothing to worry about.  It seems that if I put too much paper in then I get a paper out message.  All I need to know is where does the spring go.  Since Canon Support just blew me off I am stuck.

Hi jad742,

As Ramona indicated above, if a physical component of your printer falls out, we recommend having your unit serviced by Canon.

We don't make our service manuals public, so the information you're looking for simply isn't available to our phone technicians. We have a plethora of knowledge and expertise at our hands, but when parts start falling out, Canon is liable for any damages when we start telling you to repair your equipment. 

You'll find information on removing a paper jam HERE.

I have this exact same problem. The spring came out and without that, when it starts printing, the paper gets jammed. Not working.

I really cant understand why anybody would spend a significant amount of money to ship a printer that is worth $100 fixed.

I cant believe that Canon would design a product so poorly that it is dependent on a single spring that can come lose because the paper gets jammed

Hi rogermurphy,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

wguru
Contributor

UPDATE: rather than spending the money on shipping old Canon printerr to MAYBE being repaired (because Caono won't share the repair manual with me, a long-time Canon customer), I just spent less money on a new Epson multi-function printer.  Anyone need some used/refilled Canon MX920 printer cartridges?  Having a similar repair issue with a Canon Vixia R52 camcorder.

penguin1
Apprentice

I realize this is an older post. But I had the same thing happen to me with my Canon mx922. The spring holds the paper pickup roller (for lack of a better term) down onto the paper. On my printer, there is essentially a dropdown bar that holds a roller in the middle. On the underside (if you are holding the printer upside down) of this pickup bar, in the center, is were the spring goes. On the plastic beneath the roller itself, there is a little pointed piece of plastic jutting out from the bottom of the printer. This is were one side of the spring sits, while the other side hooks into the roller bar. This is very hard to explain without pictures and correct terms. I can send you pictures if you would like. Hope this helps, it took a lot of work to get it back in place but the printer works like new again and I didn't have to send it for servicing or take it apart.

Thanks. I would appreciate photos, maybe annotated ... or a video using a pointer.

Announcements