cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX920 says printer is out of paper but the paper is full

mbotrell
Apprentice

MY MX920 gives me the message that there is no paper in the printer, but the paper is full. I have urned off the printer multiple times and each time it gives me the same problem. Any suggestions?

52 REPLIES 52

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello mbotrell.

Please double check the load paper warning to confirm which of the two paper sources the unit is attempting to use.  It may be possible that the unit is attempting to load from the opposite tray. 

If additional assistance is needed, feel free to call us at 1-800-OKCANON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

My MX920 is doing the same thing...attempting to print normal letter size page from the upper tray (photo paper, etc)! Keeps saying upper tray is empty. Tried re-seating lower tray, checking for jams, paper in lower tray is full (but not overly full). Rebooted printer...all with the same result. Unable to print because it is trying to print from the upper tray.

I have been very successful in having this print normally from lower tray...but every now and then, it gets a bug to want to print from the upper tray (which has never been used).

Is there a way to manually force the printer to default to lower tray? If not...WHY NOT???? This is causing my confidence and patience in Canon printers to erode! Please help!!!

Using wireless thru Mac OS.

THANKS!

Hello Loungeact,

What version of Mac OS X operating system are you using? Does this happen when printing from different applications?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the reply!
The iMac is Mavericks and the MacBook Pro is the version right before Mavericks...

Happens on both. Appreciate the help!

The person gave the answers within HOURS of when you posted your request and it has been WEEKS with no response!!!  Please respond as I see multiple posts outstanding with the MX920 printing from the WRONG tray.

thanks

Any ideas...? Printer continuing to do the same thing...trying to print from the upper tray....SO FRUSTRATING!

Hi Loungeact,

The printer will automatically select which tray to print from based on the paper size and media type selected directly on the printer (when copying) or in the printer driver (when printing from your computer).  When attempting to print from the lower cassette tray, you will want to ensure that the paper size and media type selected are one of the following:

-- Photo paper (A4, 8" x 10" (20 x 25 cm), or Letter size)

-- Plain paper (A4, B5, A5, Letter, or Legal size)

-- Envelopes

When trying to print from the upper cassette tray of the unit, the paper size and media type selected will need to be one of the following: 

--  Photo paper (4" x 6" (10 x 15 cm) or 5" x 7" (13 x 18 cm) size)

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

I have this issue also.  I have set the paper size to letter on the printer.  Please help, this is very frustrating

Hello grungyspeed,

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system (Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac OS 10.X) you are using. That way, the community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

Announcements