cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX892 scanning problems

dave31175
Apprentice

When I select to scan directly from the printer it says "Set the PC to start scanning." When I select Auto Scan from the "Solutions Menu" on Win7, then click the green "Scan" button, it waits for a considerable time for "warming up", then shows "Scanning" for several minutes, then nothing. No scan is performed. Any help is appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

Julius
Rising Star

Hi dave31175,

To ensure the most accurate information is provided, please let us know if your printer is connected through the USB connection, or through the wireless.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available through the link below:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Wireless

Hi dave31175,

I got a couple extra questions for you:

1. Are you able to print over the network?  Does the print job process in a reasonable amount of time or is it slow like the scanning process?
  2. What are your current scan settings?
  3. Are you able to copy with the device?
  4. What program are you using to perform your scan?

If you wish to go through step-by-step troubleshooting, please feel free to Contact Us!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

"Scanner is warming up" taking a loooong time has been reported by several users and the answers provided are far off the mark.  There can't be anything wrong with USB, network, etc. because printing works OK.

Why can't a proper fix (or at least an explanation) be provided??

Hi bigdud,

We will need some more information from you, please reply with the answers to the following questions:

1. Are you using Windows or Mac?
  2. Scanning from the computer or directly from the printer?
  3. Is the printer connected via usb or wirelessly?
  4. When you installed the printer driver did you select wireless or usb in the setup or when adding  the printer?

We look forward to you reply.

Thanks for your prompt response.

re your first three questions: 1) this is Windows 10, 2) scanning from the computer, 3) printer is connected wirelessly.

re your last question- I can't say for sure but I would assume wireless.

The most important point to me is that this problem surfaced only recently;  for several years the warm-up period was normal (~20-30 seconds) with the same setup and configuration as it was when this problem appeared.

Would appreciate your thoughts...

....still waiting for your response....

Hello.

Something might be blocking communication to/from the scanner.  Try uninstalling the MX890 series MP Drivers and the MP Navigator program on the computer.  Then reinstall the latest versions from our website.  If the issue persists, try to temporarily disable any firewall or anti-spyware programs on the computer to see if this will allow scans to complete.

Before I uninstall/reinstall, etc., let me ask this question:  Doesn't the printer/firmware itself sense when the scanner has warmed up??  I'm having trouble understanding why "blocked communication" or something in the computer software could affect the warmup period.  

(forgive me for asking this out of total ignorance of how it all works; it's just that it strains my credibility somewhat) 

Announcements