cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX892 getting error B200, any way to fix it? Based on forums this is printing head error.

TommyM
Apprentice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kdean823
Apprentice

Here is what worked for me: 1. Turn OFF Power 2. Open the print head bay (as though you were about to change inks) 3. Turn ON power 4. Wait for print carriage to start moving to the left and let it go past half way 5. Before print carriage reaches left hand side (but after going halfway across) shut the cover. 6. Leave the Printer turned on 7. Good to go. It took 2 attempts before it worked. Some people said it took 3-4 attempts. Now, prior to this, I did clean the pads the cartridges sit on and used a qtip to wipe the encoder strip. I`m not sure if it was the combination of those things or just doing the fix.

Read more: How do I canon mx892 clear error B200? - Printer can`t clear error message B200 how do i clear it off so i can print ? I had a cartridge that was low that i replaced and tried a couple of procedures that did`nt work. :: Ask Me Fast at http://www.askmefast.com/How_do_I_canon_mx892_clear_error_B200-qna7553770.html#q4728865

View solution in original post

71 REPLIES 71

my mx892 has a stuck carriage, such that I can't access the print head.

any thoughts?

heh-dinero
Apprentice

I had this same exact message. I tried everything other people had said. Nothing worked. I then tried kdean823's response (open bay, close as print head is moving to left) . It worked and I was able to bypass the B200 error. But if I turned the printer off and then on again, I received the same B200 error. So I again tried the same procedure, immediately then using crwchf1's instructions (turn off, disconnect electricity, hit OK 5 times. I also hit the black and color buttons 5 times as well), then connect plug back in and turn on. No more error message. So far I've turned off and on several times and message is gone, so we'll see how long this lasts. 

My printer is still working as of the date of my posting which you have read.  Glad to see that it worked for you.

svsmi50
Apprentice

I replaced the printhead as other suggested and this solved the problem.  I wonder if the printhead failure is the result of using non-Canon ink.  Any others with experience or problems using non-Canon inks?

I use non canon ink all the time, its not an ink problem.Try the following: 

Turn off printer

Disconnect from AC

Press OK button on printer 5 times

Reconnect AC

Turn on printer

If this does not work

Try  several more times

If it still does not work

Try again but do not turn on printer until next morning

This has worked for me twice so far.

Also you might try removing the print head and rinsing under hot water until water runs clear before you start the above proceedure.

kathryn1953
Apprentice

Well, I followed the directions to let the inks go halfway across and then I closed the printer and got it to start working.  But a minute later it completely shut down and wont turn on at all now.

Aileen82
Apprentice

Took me 2 trys but this worked.  Thank you

canonpixmauser
Apprentice

Just a follow-up for those experiencing what I did.  It took a new printhead to resolve the B200 error in my case.  'Almost as expensive as an equivalent new model Pixma printer on sale however.   I found a YT video of a guy touting a specialized printhead cleaning kit.  It's basically a pressure washer for this type printhead.   'Didn't buy the kit, but did learn that mere flushing of the printhead (which I did try, a couple of times) may not quite get it, because getting each of the ink channels thoroughly cleared out is far more problematic than that.  IOW, it can become "uncleanable".  If the flushing procedure works for you great; but if not, you're not alone.  (I ALSO learned that there have been two separate class-action lawsuits due to product "defects" along these lines... 'Not sure if still pending or not.) 

ANY service center could easily have done what I did (replace the printhead) - it's a really simple 5-min operation - but they'd have to be stocking the right model printhead, which they're obviously not any longer.  The fact that service was "unavailable" for the MX 892 is conclusive evidence of the manufacturer's planned obsolescence scheme.

The MX892 is a great printer, one in which cheap Chinese ink works great, even for photos.  After trying my cleaning method for the second time after the printhead died, I decided to buy a new printhead.  Since I'm cheap, I didn't want to spend $100.00 or more for a new printhead, therefore I went on Ebay and found a NEW one for less than $40.00 incuding shipping.  Now I still have TWO MX892 printers working full time printing photos for pennies.....and still with great quality.  You might want to try that approach since the new printers, are not as good as the old and are MONEY COWS to the manufactures due to the expensive ink.

'Didn't get mine from eBay, but should have I guess. 'Didn't spend $100, but not $40 either.  Yeah, I like the MX892, but the printhead strikes me as the weak link. (Well, that or customer service; not sure which is worse.) Next time this comes up, there might not be any more of these printheads available anywhere...

BTW - the class action lawsuits I mentioned:

Barrett v. Canon U.S.A. (2014)

Ho v. Canon U.S.A. (2014)

Announcements