cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX870 pgbk trouble help?

wren
Apprentice

First my print quality was bad.  I opened the cover to check the ink levels, and then I got the unknown print head error.  I tried the fixes recommended for that to no avail, so I replaced the print head and the error went away.  But the print quality was still bad.  I have now realized it's just the pgbk.  The colors are fine.  Since then I have replaced the ink, done the cleaning cycle several times (even though it was a new print head) deep cleaning (black only) twice, cleaned the old print head manually but it still gave the unknown print head error, cleaned the whatever you call it the plastic timing strip thing per the directions here, and by now I've replaced I think all the inks.  Heres a scan of the test.  None of my changes have made any significant improvement.  Hm it looks like the colors show up light here, but they're fine.  Everything is fine but the pgbk.   Ideas?  What else can I try?  I love this printer.  The new ones don't seem to have the same features.  

printer test.jpg

3 REPLIES 3

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi wren,

Could you take a picture of your PGBK cartridge and attach it to a reply? If not, could you reply with all the information you see on the PGBK cartridge( ink number, where it was made, etc).

We look forward to your reply.

Hi Arthur, 

The cartridge is off-brand ink.   However, I did replace it with a different off-brand ink, from a different company, and it really didn't make any difference.   And I have replaced the print head.  If the ink was bad, is there something else that could have got clogged?   

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi wren,

The ink supply ports may be clogged. That would require a service tech to clean them though. You can check with any local electronic repair shops in your area to see if they can perform the cleaning. I would get a quote since it may cost more to repair the printer then it would to replace it.

You also qualify for the Canon Upgrade Program.

This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements