cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX870 giving error msg: 6A80

Sarisack
Apprentice

My MX870 gives msg:  6A80 and instructions to power down and power on and if msg persists, see manual.  That error msg is not explained in the manual.  I even unplugged the printer and left it off for several hours.  I just plugged it in and turned it on.  Got message.   I need this printer to work.  It has been great until this.  Please help.

28 REPLIES 28

Jessica
Enthusiast

Hi Sarisack, thanks for posting!   In order to allow the Community to better help with your question, we'll need some more information from you.

What computer operating system are you using? Once we have this information,  the Community will be better able to help get you up and printing again!

Since this printer can operate independently of the computer, I felt the OS was immaterial to the problem. I am using Windows 8.1.

SOLUTION:

Happily, I was able to solve the problem after combing the net for various suggestions.  One told of a "switch" mechanism (small white plastic) at the far right where the printhead docks, that can get clogged/gummed  by ink.  Another told of a series of button pushes to reset the message.  I thoroughly cleaned the docking area with alcohol using a makeshift swab and let it dry.  Then I tried the button pushes, which were:  Power off the printer and then hold down four buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds.  These buttons were 1)Stop, 2)Black Copy, 3)OK and 4)Power buttons.  After 10 seconds, release the Power button, continuing to hold 1) 2) and 3) until the printer powers up.  Then release them.  IT WORKED!!  I am printing, printing, printing!!

Thank you for your reply.  I hope my solution will work for others as it did for me.

Thank you Sarisack.  I just cleaned the docking area and tried to print.  It worked!  No need for me to push the 4 buttons

I continue to have problems with error msg 6A80 after numerous attempts to clean the white switch and booting with the 4-button sequence.  The ink carriage is in a middle position between parked and docking for changing ink cartridges.  When i turn on the printer, the carriage moves to the right, bumps against something  several times and returns to the midde position.  Then the printer beeps and repeats the error. Anyone have other info or ideas?

Hi siefert1,

You will want to ensure that there are no jams or obstrructions in the printer that may be causing the error.  To do this, please follow the steps located here.  Should you continue to receive the error, the printer will most likely require servicing.  Please 

call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you so much! I fixed my printer with your suggestions. I used nail polish remover instead of rubbing alcohol (all I had). Generally cleaned the whole area where the heads dock because I couldn't distinguish a particular area. Wore gloves cause it's messy in there -- a lot of black ink. 

And then followed the on/off sequence. 

Up and running now!

MX870 6A80 error.  If Sarisack's 1, 2, 3, 4 instructionss do not work, check for a piece of paper jam to right of where printer head rests. That was causing my 6A80 error.

Thank you for the easy to follow instructions on this Sarisack, printer is up and running!

Thank you Sarisack..I cleaned the dockiong area and switch (it had much ink clogged in it) with alchol/toilet paper  like you suggested and  it works like a charm.

Thanks for shairing..

Announcements