cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX870 giving error msg: 6A80

Sarisack
Apprentice

My MX870 gives msg:  6A80 and instructions to power down and power on and if msg persists, see manual.  That error msg is not explained in the manual.  I even unplugged the printer and left it off for several hours.  I just plugged it in and turned it on.  Got message.   I need this printer to work.  It has been great until this.  Please help.

28 REPLIES 28

I just fixed my mx870

I had 6a80 and when it powered on with the top up the ink cartridge carrier went to the right and bounced back and forth a couple times before the error reset.  It seemed the carrier wouldn't go over the white hook all the way to the right of the printer.

Slide the ink cartridge carrier to the left so you can see the right side of the black carrier.

On the right side of the black ink cartridge carrier at the back and bottom, just in front of the drive rail, there is a small black and white ratchet assy that latches to the white hook all the way to the right of the printer.  It was stuck.  

I touched it and I heard a click and I saw the small white bit move.

I powered it on and it danced a bit and reset and works now!

Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the tips!  You got me fixed!!

cpeters... You seem to be the closest to describe my issue... I don't see the rachet assembly you're describing.  Does yours look like this?

Screen Shot 02-07-19 at 10.47 PM.JPG

also, this white spring loaded arm is UP and that seems to be what it is bumping into...

Screen Shot 02-07-19 at 10.49 PM.JPG

I'm about to lose my mind... any help would be appreciated.

Hey Sean.  So I was pretty much where you are too.  I'd tried all the cleaning and holding buttons down, etc. 

But what I finally found by watching a video was the white rectangular piece I've circled in red in your screenshot - I was able to gently slide that from the front of the printer toward the back of the printer in the direction of the arrow.  I slid this back, and restarted the printer.  I got an AC10 error (I think - didn't write it down) but I did the 4 button hold sequence again and that worked for me.  Again, that would be to old the STOP, Black, OK and Power buttons at the same time for 10 seconds.  After 10 seconds, release the power button and once the printer turns on, you can release the other 3.

I hope this helps.  I've been fighting this for a week and just got mine resolved a few minutes ago.  Good luck.

copier.JPG

The picture of the white piece needing to slide is what did it for me.   Note that this piece shown in the picture above must be push back further than I thought.  I cleaned that area with alcohol too and made sure it moved more freely.  Restarted and it was fine with no error messages (didn't have to do the 4 button thing).

Seriously you are the best!!! We had a power outage and our fridge and our printer went out. With everything going on this year i truly couldn't afford to replace the printer so I am so grateful for your help!!! I use it every day for my twins school.    I hope you have a blessed Christmas!

For the record, with the help of this picture, I finally understood what part had to be moved back.  Hard to do in close quarters without removing part of the protective cover.  However, once done, a simple restart, not the four buttom method, was all it took.  But it did take a while to get it, but pleased that I did.  THANK YOU!

mbc
Apprentice
Not sure if you have watched the video or not but it certainly helped me. I think the action that made the difference was the pushing down on the part that you can see in the video demonstration. I didn't manually clean anything, but did carry out a deep clean via the settings once it was working again. Good luck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPMC7mmAuVU

seanclouse
Apprentice
IT WORKED!!! I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH! So glad I gave you a picture to work with as I don't think I would have understood. YOU ARE AWESOME!

jrecufan
Apprentice
Hey Sean. Glad that worked. I can appreciate the frustration. I probably couldn't have described it without the pic. That was a smart add. Have a great week.

John
Announcements