cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX870 giving error msg: 6A80

Sarisack
Apprentice

My MX870 gives msg:  6A80 and instructions to power down and power on and if msg persists, see manual.  That error msg is not explained in the manual.  I even unplugged the printer and left it off for several hours.  I just plugged it in and turned it on.  Got message.   I need this printer to work.  It has been great until this.  Please help.

28 REPLIES 28

Sarisack, your solution worked, though I did not have to use the series of button pushes, thank you. I will add, I recently began using Office Depot's remanufactured ink cartridges. Therein, I think, lies my problem. I am using Canon PGI-220 ink cartridge black. I assume the ink they use is not as good quality as Canon's cartridges.

To Canon, shame on you! What was a simple fix, required over 1.5 hours of attempting to call, search your website, read your manual all to find an individual to fix my error code.

Batamus
Apprentice

I did exactly what this video showed and it fixed it immediately. Seems that the little black part I pushed down (ligthly pushed down) was an obstruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPMC7mmAuVU

Easy cheesy.

Thank you to the commenter who posted the YouTube link!!!  Worked like a charm!  🙂

You are so right!!!! pushing down (inadvertantly) on that little black part while cleaning with a swab did the trick!!!! Nothing else had worked. Goes to show the smallest obscure detail can be the key! Thanks for taking the time to mention what you did!

nananan72
Apprentice

I am having the smae problem. i have cleaned the 'wite' part, held the four buttons and nothing has fixed this. also, when i power up, the ink cartridges don't move as they did in the past. also, for the last few months, the rollers were not gripping the paper and i would have to reset several times before it would grab the paper. is it time for a new printer? is it time to move to a  new brand?

Hi nananan72,

Please ensure that there are no jams or obstrructions in the printer that may be causing the error by following the steps located here.  If the error clears, we also recommend performing at least three roller cleanings on the unit by following the steps located here to ensure that the paper path is clear and that the paper can feed smoothly.

Should you continue to receive the error, the printer will most likely require servicing.  We ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative here to obtain your servicing options.  A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am struggling with these issue, except the printer cartridge is moving well with no obstructions. My printer will operate once and then it beeps with the same error message.

I have followed all of the above suggestions:

1) cleaned the cartridge area

2) held and released all 4 buttons on the front of my machine in the order as instructed

3) ran all of the "clean rollers" as instructed in the setup screen

4) made certain there are no obstructions in the printer cartridge area

5) inserted all new ink cartridges

What am I missing or doing wrong? Is it time for me to purchase a new printer? I have searched for another Canon similar to the MX870, and I cannot even find the Canon brand in the facility in which I originally purchased this one. Please help, as I use this printer every day for business purposes and faxes.

Thank you and Happy New Year!! 

mbc
Apprentice
Thank you so much for this link
The printer stopped working almost a year ago & I had looked for online solutions but obviously not in the right place 😉Been using an old printer but today I decided to give it one more try. Thank goodness I found this community. Folliwed the video instructions which were very easy & it's working again 😀😀Thank you, thank you, thank you.

mbc
Apprentice
Thank you so much for this link
The printer stopped working almost a year ago & I had looked for online solutions but obviously not in the right place 😉Been using an old printer but today I decided to give it one more try. Thank goodness I found this community. Followed the video instructions which were very easy & it's working again 😀😀Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I am having the same problems with the 6A80 error message.  I have cleaned the docking area and tried all of the suggestions.  My printer is still not working.

Announcements