cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX870 default tray

tjco
Apprentice

I would like to set my MX870 up to print from the cassette "only".

The only exception would be to print special paper from the rear.  I will have label paper in the rear.

To restate: plain paper in the cassette is to be used unless the print job specifically requests label paper from the rear tray.

cassette has plain paper

rear tray has label paper

All paper is 8.5"x11".

Regardless of how I set the printer it will print from the last tray used.  So if I print a label from the rear tray the next print job selects paper from the rear tray too.  This means regular print jobs get printed on label paper.

I generally print from MAC, but behavior is the same from Windows PCs.

This seems like quite a simple thing, but I cannot get the printer to function in this way.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

tjco
Apprentice

Ok, I got a response from Canon.  See below.

Now, if I follow this process I can only select various photo papers (which cause the labels to print VERY slowly and probably consume extra ink), or postcard, envelope, or T-shirt transfer.  These are all graphics intensive, I just need labels.

There is no selection for other paper types, ie 8.5x11 label paper.

Can I program/define my own media types in the driver?

Below is the respose from Canon:

"You can load paper in either one of the paper sources, depending on the page size and media type of paper. Paper is fed from the Cassette or Rear Tray depending on the selection of the page size or media type. Below are steps to assist you:

1. Make sure that the machine is turned on.

2. Load paper.

Note:

Load A4, B5, A5, or Letter-sized plain paper in the Cassette and other sizes or types of paper such as photo paper in the Rear Tray.

3. Open the Paper Output Tray gently, and open the Output Tray Extension.

4. Create (or open) a document to print using an appropriate software application.

5. Open the printer properties dialog box.

5-1. Select Print on the File menu or the command bar in your software application. The Print dialog box appears.

5-2. Make sure that your machine's name is selected.

5-3. Click Preferences (or Properties).

6. Specify the required print setting.

6-1. Select the media type of the paper to print in Media Type.

Note:

If you select A4, B5, A5, or Letter-sized plain paper when Automatically Select is selected in Paper Source, the machine feeds the paper from the Cassette. If you select other sizes or types of paper such as photo paper, the machine feeds the paper from the Rear Tray. If you select the wrong page size or media type, the machine may feed paper from the wrong paper source or may not print with the proper print quality.

6-2. Make sure that Automatically Select is selected in Paper Source.

6-3. Specify the print quality, etc. in Print Quality and Color/Intensity as required.

6-4. Click OK.

Note:

To confirm the page size, click the Page Setup tab. If the setting does not match the document's page size already set in the software application, you need to reset the page size, or otherwise use Scaled Printing or Fit-to-Page Printing."

investmentrealt
Apprentice
I had hte same problem - go to the main setup button, left side of the printer second row of buttons last one at the bottom. hit setup button and scroll to the "Devise Settings" hit ok, then scroll down to the last selection "Reset Settings", hit ok then select "settings only" and follow the prompts to reset all the print settings.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements