cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX870 and Mac - no longer can scan

brinmd
Contributor

Have had this printer for 3 plus years and could scan.  For the past several mos, lost the ability, probably corresponding to when I installed   OS X Yosemite.  Have downloaded ad reloaded the drivers  but  no luck with scanning still.  I really need to get scanning ability back up and running.  I have a MacBook Pro.  Please advise.  Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11

I gave up.  Have it hardwired now. When I run out of ink will be changing to a new printer and likey new brand.  

PLC412
Apprentice

Okay so I called Tech support and the guy gave me a solution. Go to download page and select pixma mx870, but make sure to change the operating system to the previous one EL CAPITAN instead of the current sierra. Then download drivers both MX870 series CUPS Printer Driver Ver. 11.7.1.0 (OS X), and MX870 series Scanner Driver Ver. 16.1.1a (OS X). Next click software tab and download MP Navigator EX Ver. 3.1.4 (OS X). Install all three applications. Once everything is installed open MP Navigator EX 3.1 found in the canon utilities tab. Once Navigator EX 3.1 is open click on preferences button on the bottom right. Then click where is says product name and click on mx series network (it has to say network) now because you just installed it, the program will give you an error message. After the error message stating it cannot find the network scanner/printer if you are connected to your wifi the correct printer should show and then click ok. (Hope this helps because it worked for me.) If not try calling the tech support line and they can help find a work around.

Announcements