cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX870 and Mac - no longer can scan

brinmd
Contributor

Have had this printer for 3 plus years and could scan.  For the past several mos, lost the ability, probably corresponding to when I installed   OS X Yosemite.  Have downloaded ad reloaded the drivers  but  no luck with scanning still.  I really need to get scanning ability back up and running.  I have a MacBook Pro.  Please advise.  Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11

Ramona
Authority

Hi brinmd,

Do you receive an error when you try to scan?  Also, are you trying to scan over the network or via USB cable?

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Trying to scan over a network (in house wifi).  Used to work to scan, and still works for printing. 

The error message I receive through MP Navigator EX is....

Cannot communicate with Server.

Cable may be disconnected or scaner may be turned off.

Check status

Scanner driver will be closed

Ramona
Authority

Hi brinmd,

In order to scan wirelessly, you will need to have the Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector EX running on your Mac.  To ensure it is running, from the Go menu of Finder, select Applications, then double-click the Canon Utilities folder, IJ Network Scanner Selector EX folder, then Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector EX icon.  

You will also want to ensure that necessary ports and programs are not being blocked by security or firewall programs that may be on your Mac.  For information on the ports and programs necessary for your printer/scanner to function properly, please click here.

If you still experience difficulty scanning, call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

When I click on Canon Utilities, there is no IJ Network Scanner Selector EX folder, there is only MP Navigator EX and MP Navigator EX 3.1 Opener.  

I have gone back to the Canon webiste and 4 times have downloaded the scanner driver it is suggesting for me (MX870 series Scanner Driver Ver. 16.1.1a (OS X 10.5/10.6/...       ) with a date of 10/7/14, 15.40 MB.

How do I get the software you mention?

I am having the same issues on my iMac.  There is no IJ Network Scanner Selector EX folder.  I can print and copy but cannot scan.  Has been working fine until today.  Got code 300.  Updated drivers. Deleted and readded the printer but still cannot scan.  Can only see USB option for scan.

I gave up.  Canon's advice was not helpful/did not address the problem.  I currently have the printer connected via a cable.  So much for wireless connectivity!  

Not sure why after many years of reliable use wirelessly it stopped working.  Planned obsolesence?  

I have the exact same issue.

What's the solution Canon?

Hello G_zinger!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system (Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac OS 10.X) you are using. That way, the community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

Yosemite 10.10.1

Announcements