cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX495 Prints Multiple Copies

ag4mx495
Contributor

Hello All,

We have a Canon MX495 set up as a wireless printer.  Sometimes when we print (either via wireless from a laptop, or from our home PC that is connected to the router by cable), the printer will print multiple pages of the same print job, without us requesting that.  And it's not because someone pressed print more than once by accident.

I think it happens when we get a message saying that the printed is busy, even though it actually prints.

Thanks.

Adam

5 REPLIES 5

Caemene
Rising Star

hi ag4mx495,

With the information provided, I would recommend resetting the network. To do this, you would disconnect the power cord from the router for approximately 30 seconds. After the power cord is reconnected it would take approximately 2 minutes for all devices to be fully communicating over the network again. Once this happens print a test page.

Thanks.  I'll try that.

The issue with this solution is I can't just reset the network when the printer starts printing multiple copies, as different people are working using the wireless.  How do I prevent that issue (printing multiple copies) from happening in the first place.

Also, when it does happen, it's not like the printer prints all the copies at once.  It prints the first copy, and then, a few seconds or even a couple of minutes later, it prints the page again.

Hi ag4mx495,

An alternative to troubleshooting this issue is to reset the network card of the printer. The following steps will assist you:

The following steps will assist you with resetting the network card on the printer:

1. Make sure the printer is on and support code is not displayed.
  2. Press the SETUP button.
  3. Press the RIGHT arrow to DEVICE SETTINGS, press OK.
  4. Press the RIGHT arrow to RESET SETTINGS, press OK.
  5. Press the RIGHT arrow to LAN SETTINGS, press OK.
  6. Press the LEFT arrow to YES, press OK.
  7. The printer will reset the network card.

Now that the network card has been reset, we are ready to connect the printer to your network. To connect the printer to the network, perform the steps below:

Note: Your network name and password will be needed to complete this task.

1. Press the SETUP button.
  2. Press OK for WIRELESS LAN SETUP.
  3. A message may start scrolling across the screen, press and release the STOP button.
  4. STANDARD SETUP will appear on the screen, press OK.
  5. Use the LEFT and RIGHT arrow to locate your network name.
  6. Once your network name is displayed, press OK.
  7. If there is a passphrase (password/network key) on the wireless network, you will be prompted to enter it in. To do this, use the numeric keypad.
  8. Next, to Enter Passphrase, you will see (:a) this indicates the numeric keypad is set to enter lower-case alphabet. To enter a character, press the corresponding key until the letter you want appears on the screen. For example, to enter the letter “c” you would press the number 2 key three times.
  9. The keypad transitions through lower-case letters, upper-case letters, and numbers. The settings of the keypad will be displayed in the upper right corner of the display screen. By default it will be set to (:a).
    • To transition through these settings press the TONE/ASTERISK/STAR  key. The transition will be as followed: lower-case letters (:a) > upper-case letters (:A) > numbers (:1).
    • If you need special characters press the SYMBOLS/POUND/HASHTAG  key repeatedly. For example, pressing the SYMBOLS/POUND/HASHTAG  key 5 times will enter a blank space.
    • To delete a character, press the LEFT or RIGHT arrow key to move the cursor under the character that needs to be deleted. Then press the BACK  button.
  10. After the passphrase (password/network key) has been entered and appears correct in the display window, press OK.
  11. The printer will attempt to connect to the network.
  12. The message, “Connected Press [OK]” will appear on the screen, press OK.
  13. Press the COPY button.
  14. Perform a test print from your iPhone.

If the printer fails to connect, a message will appear telling you that the unit failed to connect to the access point. Press OK and verify that the network key has been entered correctly. Make any changes if needed and press OK to attempt to connect again.

Thanks.  I'll try that.

Announcements