cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX-922 prints blank, no errors, print head ok

Ben4
Apprentice

I have an MX-922  hadn't used it much.  Recently, after sitting idle and unused for several years, I decided to hook it up again.  

Even though print ink levels on yellow and magenta and black (not page black) were low, it would only print in Cyan after doing Nozzle Print test.  Page black was empty.  And when I typed some text in yellow, black, purple, and cyan, in a Word document, it would only print the cyan text.  I also did a cleaning and deep cleaning from the Maintenance menu.

I followed advice and removed and cleaned the print head and was very careful.  After replacing it, I was able to print a "pattern"  in Cyan when I did a nozzle print  and also a very faint black. No other colors.  So, removing and cleaning the print head did not make matters worse and perhaps helped.

I replaced the little black ink tank (Page Black ink tank is still empty) and then tried to print.  Now, nothing prints - not black, not Cyan, not anything.   There are no error messages.  I have ink in the little black ink tank, but almost none in Yellow and Cyan and none in Page Black ink tank and none in Magenta.  But, shouldn't it still print text in black from a Word Document?  Again, no error messages.

I rarely used this printer for the first year after I got it.  Then left it idle, and now it doesn't work.  I paid all this money for nothing.  The print head was not damaged because I was able to print in Cyan and very faint black after cleaning and replacing the print head and didn't have any error messages after cleaning and replacing the print head.  

Can anyone figure this out?

Thanks Ben

3 REPLIES 3

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Ben4,

Since performing a cleaning and deep cleaning plus physically cleaning the print head did not resolve the issue, the print head may be faulty and would need to be replaced.

You can order parts through our Parts department. Please note that items purchased directly from our parts department are not returnable and there is a chance that it will not correct the issue you are currently experiencing.

For the price and availability of parts, please contact the Parts department below by calling them directly at 1-866-481-2569 between the hours of 9 AM to 7 PM (ET) Monday to Friday.

You also qualify for the Canon Upgrade Program.

This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 mon-Sat, 9 AM to 9pm EST. Let them know you have been working with technical support and that the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Arthur J.

First of all, thank you for responding.

the printer worked before and after I removed the printhead for cleaning.  when I cleaned and replaced it, about an hour later I did a "print nozzle" cleaning and printout, and it printed out in Blue and a trace amount of black color.  I did it again and again the same thing.  The following day, I replaced the little black tank replacement cartridge and now I get nothing.  Also, no error messages.

Except for the newly replaced small black cartridge (Genuine Canon cartridge) the other cartridges are either empty or 'slow blinking' (with an exclaimation point above the color Icon when you check the ink levels menu).

I get no error messages.  If the printhead is faulty, I can't see how it would have printed at all either before or after the removal and cleaning. Would it make sense to replace the other ink cartridges?  A new printhead is around the same price as a printer. I feel it would be easier to communicate this problem  by speaking to a technician rather than emailing back and forth.  

I would be inclined to spend the money to replace the ink cartridges (the new little black ink cartridge that I just installed was 5 years old, but it was unopened and factory wrapped)  I may have already used up the Cyan ink.     But, the only thing I would ask is if Canon would comp. me for a free tech call just on this issue.  If you guys think it would be crazy to buy a new set of ink cartridges then I wouldn't.  But, if you think it would be worth a try, I would be willing to spend the money for genuine Canon ink cartridges and see.  Obviously, no guarantee.  The only thing I would kindly ask for is if you would allow me a free tech support call just on this one issue.

Looking forward to your response.  Thanks again,

Ben

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Ben4,

If you create a MyCanon account and add your PIXMA MX922, click on Get Technical Support in the menu on the left side.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the CHAT button to connect to a support representative.  There is no charge.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements