cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP560 won't print black ink

Nate58
Apprentice

My MP560 stopped printing black text.  Ink cartridges are full.  Test pattern prints all colors perfectly.  But when I print a doc from my PC or laptop only the colored text prints.

I've used the Utilities meno to do a clean and deep cleaning.  No help.

I've checked the print cartridges for stray bits of plastic that might keep ink from flowing.  No help.

I followed bgnewjersey's suggestion, watched this YouTube video on removing and cleaning the printhead (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZheZf-vdho8) and did the cleaning.  Reinstalled and the printer still prints all colors including black on the test pattern but won't print black text when I print a document.

Any other ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

zeusman999
Apprentice

I have an MX860, it also stopped printing anything Black, Tried everything know to man to fix this problem, It is my judgement that the problem is in the circuit boards in the printer it self. Reloading, rebooting, reinstalling did nothing. Here is my fix for the problem.  If it is an issue with the printer it self telling the print head how to print, I figured lets try having the printer give the print head a different set of instructions. I pulled up a black and white document in Word, went into printer setup, Changed the MEDIA TYPE from PLAIN PAPER to GLOSSY PHOTO PAPER. You can leave it on standard print quality. On the MX860 it will load paper from the REAR try in this mode. I also checked the box in the lower left to use these setting for all future prints. When I click PRINT, it loaded paper from the rear tray and printed the document perfectly. I also printed out a 4 x 6 photo and it also printed prefectly. Yes it did take longer to print the document but  " so what " in my case to wait a little longer is not a live changing issue. The bottom line is that with the printer set in the Glossy Paper mode it prints anything black or color perfectly. Obviously this fix does not address the origina problem which in my opinion can not be fixed.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

OldFlyer, I just called suppoprt and they had me try a new cartridge...they said the refills I was using could be the problem.  I happened to have a box of new (non-Canon) refils I'd gotten off Amazon and tried the large black one.  It worked just fine.  Not sure why, but the tech thought it could be that some inks are thicker and tend to clog easier than others.  Whatever it was, it works now.  Good luck with yours.

Eureka

I have a MP600 and have spent weeks with different inks/drivers/cleaning print heads etc without getting it to print black. Now resetting the paper type to glossy photo has solvedd the problem.

Many, many thanks

Ramona, I had the same problem and your fix worked.  Thanks!  However...if I understand it correctly, we will now be using all colors just to print black, use more ink, and have to feed the paper from the back?  I appreciate being able to use my printer now, but what a hassle!  And the only option seems to be to send it in for repairs which will almost assuredly cost more than the printer cost new.  Am I missing something?  Thanks

Thanks so much! Does this mean that the large black tank will never get used though?

iris1620
Apprentice

Thank you. I followed instructions and BOOM, printed. 

johninstalbans
Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestion of a workaround (for my MX860). I find that it does work, but very slowly prints black text in BLUE!

Perhaps the reason is that when I print the nozzle check, BOTH the black segments are missing (and incidentally, the letters PGBK at the top are missing while the bottom BK is present!). I've changed both black cartridges and cleaned and deep cleaned several times.

It makes me think that there must be a common printhead for both blacks, which must have failed.

If this is so, anyone have experience of replacing the printhead, assuming I can buy one?

Cuchulain9
Apprentice

Weird problem.  I can print with black ink from some programs but not others.  Particularly strange, docs of the same format, e.g. pdf, will print fine out of one program, most other programs it prints either as tho' it is running out of ink, or in some cases as if there is NO ink, i.e. a blank page.  I've run ever clean/align operation and reinstalled multiple times.

Hi

Can you mention what are the programs that can print?

I am having printing issues now with Canon MP560. 

Announcements