cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP560 won't print black ink

Nate58
Apprentice

My MP560 stopped printing black text.  Ink cartridges are full.  Test pattern prints all colors perfectly.  But when I print a doc from my PC or laptop only the colored text prints.

I've used the Utilities meno to do a clean and deep cleaning.  No help.

I've checked the print cartridges for stray bits of plastic that might keep ink from flowing.  No help.

I followed bgnewjersey's suggestion, watched this YouTube video on removing and cleaning the printhead (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZheZf-vdho8) and did the cleaning.  Reinstalled and the printer still prints all colors including black on the test pattern but won't print black text when I print a document.

Any other ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

zeusman999
Apprentice

I have an MX860, it also stopped printing anything Black, Tried everything know to man to fix this problem, It is my judgement that the problem is in the circuit boards in the printer it self. Reloading, rebooting, reinstalling did nothing. Here is my fix for the problem.  If it is an issue with the printer it self telling the print head how to print, I figured lets try having the printer give the print head a different set of instructions. I pulled up a black and white document in Word, went into printer setup, Changed the MEDIA TYPE from PLAIN PAPER to GLOSSY PHOTO PAPER. You can leave it on standard print quality. On the MX860 it will load paper from the REAR try in this mode. I also checked the box in the lower left to use these setting for all future prints. When I click PRINT, it loaded paper from the rear tray and printed the document perfectly. I also printed out a 4 x 6 photo and it also printed prefectly. Yes it did take longer to print the document but  " so what " in my case to wait a little longer is not a live changing issue. The bottom line is that with the printer set in the Glossy Paper mode it prints anything black or color perfectly. Obviously this fix does not address the origina problem which in my opinion can not be fixed.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

taper21
Enthusiast

As to 5600 print problem.

I m made mistake in when useing and testing in  dialog. It never showed in nethier dialog or, using..

I ended up with person from h. p. that wanted all facts and asking of warranty when purchased. I It was was as 30 day return offer if retuning  and a warranty was $15 fot 3 years, which I never  bought , thinking my previous h p printer went almost 12 years with no trouble so, that the main reason never bought warranty . .. Aso, I went to 4 hour  test where they take control of printer. No answer there. Cost $200.

So ;it sits in closet after just a few months being used.

Bought another but it a Canon.

Thanks for all help from the forum people.

taper21

zeusman999
Apprentice

I have an MX860, it also stopped printing anything Black, Tried everything know to man to fix this problem, It is my judgement that the problem is in the circuit boards in the printer it self. Reloading, rebooting, reinstalling did nothing. Here is my fix for the problem.  If it is an issue with the printer it self telling the print head how to print, I figured lets try having the printer give the print head a different set of instructions. I pulled up a black and white document in Word, went into printer setup, Changed the MEDIA TYPE from PLAIN PAPER to GLOSSY PHOTO PAPER. You can leave it on standard print quality. On the MX860 it will load paper from the REAR try in this mode. I also checked the box in the lower left to use these setting for all future prints. When I click PRINT, it loaded paper from the rear tray and printed the document perfectly. I also printed out a 4 x 6 photo and it also printed prefectly. Yes it did take longer to print the document but  " so what " in my case to wait a little longer is not a live changing issue. The bottom line is that with the printer set in the Glossy Paper mode it prints anything black or color perfectly. Obviously this fix does not address the origina problem which in my opinion can not be fixed.

Well well well .. who would have guessed, but docs now print perfectly. 

Thanks so much for this.  Glad I won't be having to replace my printer just yet.  When I do I'm not sure it'll be another Canon.

Wow!  This is the only solution of the many offered that worked for my "Canon MX868.  I am very pleased that you posted this information on the forum.  The dodgy responses from Canon were especially useless.  You've saved me the cost of a new printer.

Wow your solution really worked!!!!! I've been trying to solve this issue for hours and your idea solved it!!!! Thaaaaaaaanksssssssssssss

Thanks so much! It's now 2018 and this info has been a godsend! 

this fixed my issue

Thanks Ramona, the bypass worked. However I'm surprised Canon have not solved and fixed the original problem - why the larger black ink tank won't work. 

Oh my goodness - thanks for this solution!  I have literally been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my canon mg7550 wouldn't print black text in either work or all of a pdf doc.  I've selected the glossy print instead and bingo it works having gone mad trying everything else!  Word docs now print black text but it's annoying that it'll only take ink from the small cartridge not the big one which I just replaced trying to solve the problem!  Weirdly though if I printed a jpeg document it printed black text perfectly but pdf I have to take a snapshot, save as a word document and it prints ok on normal settings.  It's sooooooo confusing but thank you.

Announcements