cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP560 won't print black ink

Nate58
Apprentice

My MP560 stopped printing black text.  Ink cartridges are full.  Test pattern prints all colors perfectly.  But when I print a doc from my PC or laptop only the colored text prints.

I've used the Utilities meno to do a clean and deep cleaning.  No help.

I've checked the print cartridges for stray bits of plastic that might keep ink from flowing.  No help.

I followed bgnewjersey's suggestion, watched this YouTube video on removing and cleaning the printhead (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZheZf-vdho8) and did the cleaning.  Reinstalled and the printer still prints all colors including black on the test pattern but won't print black text when I print a document.

Any other ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

zeusman999
Apprentice

I have an MX860, it also stopped printing anything Black, Tried everything know to man to fix this problem, It is my judgement that the problem is in the circuit boards in the printer it self. Reloading, rebooting, reinstalling did nothing. Here is my fix for the problem.  If it is an issue with the printer it self telling the print head how to print, I figured lets try having the printer give the print head a different set of instructions. I pulled up a black and white document in Word, went into printer setup, Changed the MEDIA TYPE from PLAIN PAPER to GLOSSY PHOTO PAPER. You can leave it on standard print quality. On the MX860 it will load paper from the REAR try in this mode. I also checked the box in the lower left to use these setting for all future prints. When I click PRINT, it loaded paper from the rear tray and printed the document perfectly. I also printed out a 4 x 6 photo and it also printed prefectly. Yes it did take longer to print the document but  " so what " in my case to wait a little longer is not a live changing issue. The bottom line is that with the printer set in the Glossy Paper mode it prints anything black or color perfectly. Obviously this fix does not address the origina problem which in my opinion can not be fixed.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

This worked!  Thx.

It works for me too on my MP560 but I can not copy, the solution is useful but not ideal

This solution also worked on my South American G4100.  However, it now will not copy!  Oh well!  Printing is more important and I do it more often than copying anyway!  Thanks!

Thank you SO much!!! Spent hours trying to get this issue fixed and your solution was a super simple easy fix! Wish I would have seen your solution much sooner! Thank you again!!! 

Ramona
Authority

Hi Nate58,

When using the glossy photo paper setting, the black ink is printing because the printer is using the smaller black ink tank along with the other color ink tanks to produce the black on the page; when printing black text documents and the plain paper option is selected, the large black ink tank in the unit is used.  

Because the amount of ink that is used is different when printing on photo paper than when on plain paper, another alternative to have your text documents prints would be to highlight all of the text in the document and change it to another color other than black; it can be a dark color that is very close to black, but just not black.  This will also utilize the color ink tanks (including the small black ink tank) to produce the text on the page.

Since all of the inkjet nozzles do not appear to be dispensing ink successfully (a black grid resembling a net should appear above the colors printed on the nozzle check pattern), and performing mulitple print head cleanings and deep cleanings on the printer did not help, the printer will require servicing to resolve the issue.  We ask that you please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for servicing options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Ramona....

You have saved my printer!!!!! I couldn't figure out why my smaller black ink wasn't being used.  I have about 8 small black ink cassettes because things were only printing using the larger one.  I have now switched to using the glossy print mode so that I can use up all of my smaller black inks!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!

j

Mine is 1+ yr old, so I'm sure any fix (not to mention postage) would be at my expense

Is there nothing else we can try at home, to get that larger (PGBK) cartridge to feed??

tia

Rk

Hi, OldFlyer!

If you've tried a few print head cleanings in the printer's 'Maintenance' menu, and the issue persists, please reach our support team by email by CLICKING HERE and they'll be happy to further look into this with you and let you know all the options you have.

Thanks!

ok- Thanks

While I'm doing the workaround(s), is it ok to allow the "clogged" cartridge to run completely dry?  

About contacting your support team-  No sarcasm intended, just being realsitic here-

If there is no other "self-help" available, could I expect any professional inspection/cleaning/repair, to cost less than the $55 dollars I paid for my MG6620 ?

Ending on a   8-:)   note-  Nice workaround post-  ‎07-26-2015.   

Announcements