cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP495 Printer Not Detected

jc
Apprentice

I just reinstalled the OS on my Dell (Win XP Media Edition) and for some reason I am not able to install my MP495.  I always get a message of 'Printer not detected' no matter what I do.  While I have a router, since the printer is right next to the computer it's connected via a USB cable and before the OS reinstall, was working just fine (all connections have been checked and are ok).  I even went to far as to completely disable both my firewall and anti-virus programs (Windows firewall and Security Essentials), rebooted and tried the install again but again it failed.  I have updated the drives and that installation fails as well, with the same message.  I have tried unplugging it, removing the cable, essential all of the suggestions I've been able to find on the web but nothing is working.   I have also found nothing in this forum that doesn't involve a wireless connection. 

Anyone have any suggestions?
Regards,

jc

5 REPLIES 5

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Please try the following adjustment to see if we can resolve your issue:

1.  Close all programs that are open.

2.  Click Start and open the Control Panel.

3.  Open Printers or Devices and Printers.

4.  Right-click the MP495 and choose Delete.

5.  Ensure that no other copies of the MP495 are left in the listing.

6.  Disconnect the USB cable from the printer.

7.  Wait a few moments and then reconnect the cable.  A new icon should appear.

Once this has been done, try printing to test the unit.

If you need additional assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Michael, but I had actually tried all of those steps, several times I might add, and without luck.  Pulling the USB cord and plugging back into the same port did nothing to solve the problem.  I tried so many different suggestions I found on the net that I couldn't begin to remember them all! 

The problem was quite frustrating, to the point I actually broke down and called the support number (after having the chat guy give up on me).  It all turns out that what I needed to do get everything working again was so simple as to be ridiculous.  I talked to someone from either India or Pakistan who, while not exactly direct or forthright about it, finally convinced me to change USB port.  Not in the Control Panel, but physically.  I swapped out the USB connectors on my wireless mouse and the printer, simply moving the USB connectors from one to the other and like magic, all was well and the printer began working as it used to.

Since I have seen so many people with the same problem and in most cases, no resolution, I would suggest that a simple line in the troubleshooting guide suggesting that the ports be physically be changed if the 'Printer not Detected' message popped up might save a lot of people a lot of trouble (then again, this may be a problem particular to my combination of Dell computer and XP Media Edition - this is not by any means the first weird problem I've encountered on this computer!).  I think I spent a good 4 hours, over a week or more, searching the net, chatting with Canon support and trying all of the suggestions that I found.  Yet no one said anything about physically changing the USB connector to a different port. 

So simple, yet so hard!

Thanks,

jc

k2palmer
Apprentice

We are having this same problem but with wireless. I ran the LAN test and it shows disabled. We can't figure out how to get it enabled?  It was working before but now none of the printers in the house will connect to the MP495.  It has just disappeared.  We've turned it off and on. We've clicked the maintenance button 11 and/or 14 times.  What do we need to do to get access again?

Hi, k2palmer!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know the version of Windows or Mac in use.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

We have Windows 8

Announcements