cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MP480 no longer works after Win 10 Update

rmbelson
Apprentice

I've been using the Win 8 driver for this printer under Windows 10 for some years. On 3/11 there was a Windows Update and now my printer stalls with message: "collecting printer status". I know Canon never made a win10 driver for this device. But am I stuck? I've tried using a generic driver, same result.  Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi mbelson,

You are correct, the PIXMA MP480 is not supported with Windows 10.  You can try using an older driver.  Please disconnect the USB cable and then follow these steps:

1.  Press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R, then let both go.

2.  In the Run window, please type CONTROL PANEL and click OK.

3.  Click on View devices and printers (or Devices and printers, depending on your view).

4.  Right click the Canon MP480 series and left click on Remove device.  Repeat until all MP480's are removed.

5.  In the upper left corner, click on Control Panel (or the Back button).

6.  In Control Panel, click on Uninstall a program (or Programs and features, depending on your view).

7.  Click once on "Canon MP480 series MP Drivers" and then click Uninstall at the top.

8.  Follow the on screen prompts to uninstall the driver.  When you click Complete,  the driver is uninstalled.

9.  Once done, please reboot your computer.

When your computer restarts, we will reinstall:

1.  Please use the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mp...

2.  Select Windows 7 or Windows 7 (x64) from the drop down box, depending on the version of Windows 10 that is installed on your computer.

3.  Click the Select button next to "MP480 series MP Driver Ver. 1.02".

4.  Click the Download button.  The drivers will download.

5.  Once the download is complete, open your downloads folder.  To access this, press CTRL and J, then let both go.

6.  Double click either "md86-win-mp480-1_02-ej.exe" or "md64-win-mp480-1_02-ej.exe" (depending on which one was downloaded) to begin the installation.

7.  Follow the on screen prompts to reinstall.

Once the installation has completed, please attempt to print.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I tried exactly this with the Windows 8.2 X64 driver and the problem persists. Will using the Win 7 driver make a difference?

Hi rmbelson,

They use the same driver.

Please try right clicking the driver and then left clicking on "Run as Administrator".

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I've done that and no change. I gave up and bought a new printer. HP this time. Thanks for trying.

Announcements