cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG7750 Printer error: The scanner is not available while in use by another user or application

SKOV
Apprentice

Dear Canon multi function inkjet printers, I am using a MG7750 printer/scanner on MacOS and have experienced a similar malfunction from the scanner with an error report from the Canon Quick Menu Scan function that is calling the Canon IJ Scan Utility2 module making the scanning impossible through the application.

The reported error was: The scanner is not available while in use by another user or application.

This message is unfortunately not very helping as it does not point to the resource or file locked by that user and application that could have been deleted to help solving the issue.

The cause of the problem resulted from a lack of computer memory (my Hard Disk was almost full), and I had got several warnings from the scanner utility from Canon that the system could become unstable...

So, after some scans performed succesfully under this condition, the utility got finally stuck returning the above error message.

I tried several solutions proposed on this forum (replacement of applications, drivers and utilities from Canon support site, reboot of computer, switch off/on of the printer/scanner) but none of these have solved the problem.

Nevertheless, after some trials, I succeeded to perform a scan by directly bypassing the Canon Quick Menu. For this, I just opened the control panel of the printer/scanner from the System Preferences menu and launched a scan.

But I finally found the solution to restore the function of scanner from the Canon Quick Menu application.

And here it is:

1. Don't mess up reinstalling everything!
  2. Disconnect the printer from the power plug for a long period of time (I did it during a full night and the problem disappeared like by magic).

So, I believe the problem was with some table of resources locked in the printer microcontroller memory that retains its values even when the printer is switched off but not disconnected from the power. It is only when, no power is provided to the printer/scanner for a time long enough that the memory seems to be cleared.

My guess: it is likekly that the microcontoller board of the printer/scanner still gets some power when the power switch is turned off or maybe that some capacitors have to fully discharged to obtain the memory cleared.

Enjoy.

And tell me if this worked for you!!

1 REPLY 1

Tiffany

Hi SKOV,

Welcome to The Canon Forum! 
We really appreciate your participation, however this appears to be a printer model not suported within the US. The Canon Community is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please CLICK HERE and select your country or region for your support needs.

You're welcome to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Announcements