cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG7720 code 1660 cannot recognize magenta ink cartridge

courtlight
Apprentice

MG7720 code 1660 cannot recognize magenta ink cartridge

(even though it had no problems with the same cartridge many times before)

I tried taking the cartridge out and putting it back in again.

I tried turning off the printer for a while and turning it back on.

I tried taking all the cartridges out and putting them back in again.

I tried turning off and unplugging the printer for 10 mins and then plugging and turning it back on again.

I tried a combo of the last two. ^^

I tried cleaning the cartridge.

None of the copper pins are misaligned.

And because of the type of printer I have, as long as I'm getting this error, the printer will not light up any of the other button options other than on/off.

And on my laptop the only option it gives me is to cancel the printing.

When I open the printer it does give my the "Stop" button option and I tried pressing that.

I also tried a suggestion to hold down the stop button for 3 seconds then hold down the power button and press the stop button 5 times to try to reset the printer.

When I turn on, the printer gives me a few seconds of the general display options and I only got as far as Settings before the code 1660 took over the screen again.

And I don't really want to try using a new magenta ink cartridge because most have said that that did not work for them and I don't want to waste opening an additional ink cartridge if I don't have to.

I really wish there were actual buttons on this printer or at least a reset button.

Any other suggestions?

1 REPLY 1

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi courtlight,

The 1660 error is an indication that your PIXMA MG7720 does not detect an ink tank, magenta in this case.

The issue could be with the ink tank.  If there is a problem with the ink tank, the printer would not detect it and the error will appear.

The issue could be caused by a bent pin where the ink tank makes contact inside of the printer.

If replacing the ink tank does not clear the error, your PIXMA MG7720 would require service. You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program.  This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system.  This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET).  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements