cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG7720 Failed firmware update and now just a black screen with a blinking power button.

Johnpv
Apprentice

I used my MG7720 and it said it had a firmware update ready.  So I did as it said, went into settings and told it to update its firmware.  When I looked again it said it had failed it's update and to press the on button to try again.  I did that and now all I have is black screen and a blinking power button. 

7 REPLIES 7

canpix
Apprentice

I too have the same problem. I initiated a firmware update as prompted but it failed. The update failed and I clicked the retry option after which the screen went blank with backlight and the power light keeps blinking. 

Hi canpix,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Johnpv,

It is recommended that you contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

clucier
Apprentice

I had the same issue, I unplugged the printer, waited about 30 seconds and then plugged it back in, it then downloaded the update and successfully applied it.

Same issue with the blank screen and blinking power button after the firmware upgrade attempt.

Followed same procedure, to unplug, wait 30 seconds, and plug back in. Then Downloading came on the screen and the update applied successfully - the screen went blank for a moment after the update and the printer restarted itself.

Finally, showed Update Successful after restart and prompted to click OK.

Good solution!

Mace
Apprentice

It seems that the program used to cause the download / update is incorrectly programmed, and is failing at some point?

nice to see the old turn it off turn it back on works.

i wonder how many people have actually had this problem and how many engineerrs / new printers have been dispatched at an incredible cost in time to both users and Canon.

I had this problem as well.  I tried power cycling the unit twice and it still failed each time.  However, for all 3 attempts the printer was connected to the network over WiFi.  I turned it off, plugged it into the network with an ethernet cable, powered it on and then it worked "first" try.

Announcements