cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG7520 colors failing

hafcanadian
Contributor

My MG7520 is printing photos with a decided pink/lavender leaning.  I printed a test that showed no Bk or Yellow rows.  All others were clean prints.  I cleaned and deep cleaned, with the same results.  I replaced the small Bk and Yellow tanks, cleaned, and still no yellow or black test prints.

I'm getting tired of having to get a new Canon photo printer every 4-6 years.  We don't print tons of photos because of the ink cost, and I use a laser printer for all other jobs.  This printer isn't exactly overworked, but often enough that inks shouldn't dry and clog their head ports.  It's frustrating... I have an on-hand stock of 7 XL tanks, plus the 2 new ones I just installed and the others in the machine.  That's well over $200 down the tube just for useless XL ink tanks if I have to replace another Canon inkjet.

What's my next move, assuming the printhead is working since the other inks are getting through?  Can I remove and clean just the Bk and Y sides of the printhead?  Are replacement printheads available for the MG7520?  Or might there be something else askew?

2 REPLIES 2

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Hafcanadian,

It does look like the nozzles are clogged, if you have performed several cleanings and deep cleaning and it did not resolve the issue, it would mean the nozzles are either damaged or severely clogged.

If you would like to replace the print head, you can contact our parts team at 1-866-481-2569 to purchase one. Outside of the 1 year warranty, you can contact our sales department at 1-800-385-2155 to use our Upgrade Program. The Upgrade program will give you a discount and free shipping on a replacement printer. You can check if they have any printers in stock that use the same ink tanks.

Thanks Hector.  After watching videos about getting this particular head out and cleaning it, I ran into one that explained issues often are the result of the tank and not the head.  Sure enough, checking the problem inks revealed poorly stuck stickers over the refill holes.  Since getting a Brother Color Laser printer we haven't used the Canon as much... just a photo now and then.  Its tanks, and my spares in a drawer too, are a year or more old.  Costco offers proper and reliable ink, best cost, and fastest refills service, and we've used them for years.

But I noticed something this time around.  The little circular white stickers they cover the fill port with weren't totally stuck down, and a couple tanks had some sort of duff/deposit around the port, pushing the sticker up.  I'm thinking the things just were drying up or venting when they shouldn't.  I replaced the black and yellow tanks with ones that were new or had solid sticker seals, and got a good test sheet result and a great 4X6 print.  The only glitch was the grid that was skewed a little at the top of the test sheet, and that should be the PageBlack I think;  I'll try cleaning the PGBK head for that, but since we don't do any documents much in that printer, it shouldn't be a big deal.  

Next Costco refill I'll admonish their staff to make sure the port is well-sealed, and I'll start checking that when replacing tanks in the printer.  It's quite likely the stickers simply weaken over time, and it's not all Costco's fault.

Announcements