cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG7120 Firmware

Wolverine3
Apprentice

I have an MG7120 that has been having print issues. The results are inconsistent.  Sometimes they are faded, splotchy, missing lines, won't print anything at all, etc and other times the results are absolutely perfect.  I've done all the maintenance items (clean/deep clean nozzles, alignment, etc) ad naseum, cleaned the print head, uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers and apps (Windows 10), reset the printer settings to default and then set it back up again as well as a few other things I'm forgetting.  The results are the same, crap, wonderful, crap, and on and on.

I'm to the point now of suspecting the firmware is corrupted.  The settings indicate the firmware version is 4.050.  When I use the Printer Update Utility, it tries to load version 2.040 for some reason but the update won't complete, probably because it's an earlier version.  Is 4.050 the latest version or did I somehow get a version I shouldn't have?  If I do have the correct version, is there a way to remove and reload it?  If I do have an incorrect version and it should be an earlier version, is there a way to install the earlier version?

Because it can print as if it's brand new at times, I'm hesitant to just throw it away.  I'm convinced there's nothing wrong with it mechanically and the issue lies with either the drivers/software/firmware.  Does anyone out there have any suggestions?  Thanks!

Updated on 12/16/18:  I now have a new issue with this bizarro printer.  When I try to print a document, it just grabs the paper and zips it through the printer fast and out without printing at all.  I carefully removed and reinstalled all the Canon software and drivers, again, with no change.

Does anyone know what the latest firmware version is supposed to be for my 7120?  Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

You can try the update again directly from the printer, please follow these steps:

Make sure that the printer is on.

1. If you are not in the HOME screen, press the HOME button (looks like a house).
  2. Swipe the screen from left to right to view other options.
  3. Tap on SETUP. (the icon that looks like tools).
  4. Tap on DEVICE SETTINGS.
  5. Swipe the screen from bottom to top to look for FIRMWARE UPDATE.
  6. Tap on FIRMWARE UPDATE.
  7. Tap INSTALL UPDATE.
  8. Tap YES.
  9. Tap START UPDATE and wait for the printer to finish the update. It will eventually restart itself.
  10. When the printer turns back on and the “Update succeeded” message appears, tap OK.

If there is no option to update the firmware, that means you have the most current version installed on the printer. If that is the case, I recommend performing a nozzle check. This will help narrow down if the printer is experiencing a hardware or software issue.

Please click HERE for steps to perform the nozzle check. You can use the Blue link below step 5 to compare your nozzle check.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the info, Arthur.  I tried the update process again and, again, was told the version currently installed, 4.050, is the latest.  I initiated the nozzle check and, after a long configuration process by the printer (lots of clacking, whiring, things inside moving and turning) it finally did complete.  Other than the left side of the very top line of the grid missing and the top six lines of the grid being a little lighter, the printout was perfect.  I then tried printing a regular Word document.  As before, the printer grabbed the paper and moved it through the printer way faster than normal and about a quarter of the lines were cut off on the top or bottom.  The lines that did print completely looked great.

Well, do you think my printer has any hope left?  Thanks.

Hi Wolverine3,

Can you try to make a Black and White copy directly from the printer. Once it prints, please let us know if the paper fed correctly and if the copy was good.

We look forward to your reply.

So, after some additional cleanings including just the PGBK cartridge, a head alignment with the correct matte photo paper and cleaning the clear plastic alignment strip behind the head carriage, I only have one issue left.  The nozzle check patterns are perfect except for the top half of each of the PGBK bars and the grid being a couple shades lighter than the bottom half. My b&w documents print with about every third line of words printed normal and the rest are lighter.  When I make a copy directly from the printer, I still see the light & normal b&w shades so it's not a driver issue and is something with the printer itself.  I think I figured out the speed issue.  Somehow, the Quiet Setting got turned off.

Update:  I've determined it's an issue specifically with the PGBK cartridge or the area of the printer head the PGBK uses.  To isolate it, I tried printing a document with the "Media Type" setting on "High Resolution Paper".  That caused the printer to use the BK cartridge which is typically used for photos instead of the PGBK cartridge, which is used for text.  Although it was much, much slower, it printed perfectely.  I'm going to acquire a new PGBK cartridge to see if that fixes it.

johnnyBrandom
Apprentice

Hi,

Just wondering if you ever got verification of what the correct firmware revision is for the MG7120? I too am getting prompted by the printer to upgrade my firmware (no issues using it at present revision). When I check the installed version on my printer, I see 4.050 as you also reported. When I check canon supprt site, I see the current firmware version is being described as 2.040 (also as Wolverine3 noted). This is very disconcerting as I don't understand:

1. why my printer reports running a firmware version later than that posted as the latest on canon's official support site,
  2. why my printer is suggesting I have an update available when the installed revision number is at a higher ordinal value than that reported on canon's support site,
  3. what is the official latest (as of 6/19/2019) firmware version for the MG7120 (is it 2.040 or 4.050 or something else)?

Can someone at canon please address these concerns? Do we need to be concerned about running a version that appears to have come from somewhere other than Canon? I see these questions went unanswered when the op asked but there are likely others out there wondering this just as I am so your (Canon) response will help others out.

Thanks.

Johnny,

I never did get to the bottom of the firmware version issue and Canon wasn't about to reveal the answer.  I finally gave up on this printer and bought a new one.  Too bad.  It's such a waste.  Everything else about it was in great shape.  Good luck with yours.

Hi johnnyBrandom,

You will want to go with the 4.050 firmware version on the printer. The printer will always have the most update to date firmware version for the printer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi ArhturJ,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I was hoping you'd be able to address all three of my questions - especially the question asking why the official support site lists version 2.040 as the latest firmware for the printer when the printer itself is reporting that version 4.050 is installed?

This doesn't make sense to me - nor does it make sense that the printer is suggesting that there is a newer version available when you report that the version I have is the latest? Can you answer those two questions as well?

Thanks!

Hi johnnyBrandon,

The firmware on the web site is not as current as the firmware that can be installed directly from the operator's panel on the printer itself

Announcements