cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG6320 Showing Up in OS X Finder Sidebar

denn
Contributor

I have an admittedly minor issue...more of an annoyance, really. My MG6320 printer is showing up as a PC in the Finder sidebar on my Mac (running OS X Yosemite) under shared. Is there any way to prevent the printer from showing? I tried disabling Bonjour, but that didn't work. Thanks for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi denn, I know you asked this over half a year ago, but I signed up for this forum just to answer your question, because I just figured how to get rid of Canon's printer from the OS X sidebar and this has been a minor annoyance me for the last couple of years as well! 

I too had the MG6320, but now I'm on the MG7520, though both should have the same exact network settings. The canon entry you're seeing in the sidebar is actually access to the printer's memory card slot. To get rid of it, go to your printer's Setup page and navigate to Device settings > Lan settings > Other settings > Set memory card sharing > Disable. After that, try ejecting the memory card from the sidebar, and then restart your Mac to confirm it doesn't show up again.

And that should do it! Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ramona
Authority

Hi denn,

Do you happen to have a memory card in the memory card slot of the printer?  If so, if you remove the memory card, does this resolve the issue?

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Romona, thanks for your reply. No, I've never used any type of memory card with the printer. It's been happening since I first connected the printer to my network (when all of my computers were running OS X Mavericks). I should also note that none of the computers on the network has Printer Sharing enabled. Any other thoughts? Thanks again for responding.

Hi denn, I know you asked this over half a year ago, but I signed up for this forum just to answer your question, because I just figured how to get rid of Canon's printer from the OS X sidebar and this has been a minor annoyance me for the last couple of years as well! 

I too had the MG6320, but now I'm on the MG7520, though both should have the same exact network settings. The canon entry you're seeing in the sidebar is actually access to the printer's memory card slot. To get rid of it, go to your printer's Setup page and navigate to Device settings > Lan settings > Other settings > Set memory card sharing > Disable. After that, try ejecting the memory card from the sidebar, and then restart your Mac to confirm it doesn't show up again.

And that should do it! Hope that helped. Smiley Happy

Thanks very much, cdemafeliz! This appears to have addressed the issue. I very much appreciate you taking the time to provide the solution. With hindsight, it makes perfect sense that the memory card slot would show up in the sidebar--it just never occurred to me to search for such a setting. Again, thanks very much!

No problem. Smiley Very Happy I didn't realize it too until I finally clicked the item on the item on the sidebar, which then shows "Canon_memory" in the Finder window.

Anyway, I'm glad it's out of my sidebar too Smiley Happy

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements