cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG6120 not printing PGBK black

Confuzed
Contributor

Problem with a MG6120.  It will not print a black document (typical text document).

The test page prints fine with the exception of the top PGBK section.  The PGBK and the grid to the right of the letters does not show up at all.

I have cleaned the nozzles (multiple times)

I have deep cleaned the nozzles (multiple times)

I have re-seated all the cartridges.

I have replaced the C225 cartridge (twice).  All the other colors are not empty and seem to print fine.

I have downloaded and reinstalled the latest drivers

I have re-seated the printhead

I have realigned the printhead

Still no black.  

I can force the printer to print black by changing the setting to photo, but from what I have read, it prints off of the small black cartridge, not the larger one.

In searching this forum, and the knowledgebase, all the problems seem to end with contact support, but no solution is provided.

Can someone share the secret?

9 REPLIES 9

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Confuzed,

We will need some more information about the PGBK ink cartridge. Please write back with answers to the following questions:

• What information do you see on the label of the cartridge? (please include everything you can read from the top of the   label to the bottom)
    • If you can, please take a picture of the cartridge label and attach the JPEG file to your response.
    •  Do you know if the ink tank was refilled?

We look forward to your reply.

Here are the ink cartridges as currently installed. I do not have the last two PGBK cartridges, but the last one that worked was a Canon cartridge. It was not empty (according to the printer) but it was replaced with a cartridge from the same pack as the Cyan one shown here. Then that one, even though it was full, was replaced with EZ ones shown here.

As far as I know, none of the cartridges were refills.

WP_20190103_08_16_35_Pro.jpg

Hi Confuzed,

I see that you are using ink cartridges that were not made by Canon. Canon USA does not recommend the use of inks manufactured by third parties in Canon printers.

Canon genuine inks are formulated specifically for use in our ultra-precise print head.  Our print head and inks work together as a precisely engineered system to support optimum image quality, print speed and reliability in higher resolution text and color printing applications.

Canon supplies and accessories can be purchased online at http://shop.usa.canon.com/, or by calling 1-800-385-2155 to speak to a Canon Direct Representative.

Should you decide to use inks manufactured by third parties in your Canon printer, and such inks cause damage to your product, this damage will not be covered under the product's limited warranty.  Any repairs required as a result of such damage must be made at your expense

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ArthurJ,

I see you missed the part in my previous post about when the printer stopped printing from the PGBK cartridge.  I was using the Canon cartridge at the time.  The issue is not the print cartridge.  

In addition, you asked if this answered my question...  What exactly was answered?  There is no suggestion as to how to address the issue.  And what limited warranty are you talking about?  The warranty (as far as I know) ran out some time ago.

Lastly, you ask I click on Accept as Solution...  Are you aware there is no such place to click?

Correction, I now see the place to click on Accept as Solution.
But the rest of the email stands. No solution was given.

Hi confuzed,

Since the PGBK will not print with the Canon or the third party ink after all the cleanings then the printer has malfunctioned.

Please be advised repair service is no longer available for this product. However, in appreciation of your continued loyalty, we understand your immediate needs, and would like to offer you our Canon Upgrade Program.

This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. We will also include free ground shipping with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST.

10% off is a nice gesture, but...

Do you think it may be the print head?  How can this be diagnosed?

Any way to test if it is just the print head?

Hi Confuzed,

The only way to test the print head would be to take it to a service facility. The MG6120 was retired in 2016 and parts/service for the printer is no longer available. You can try to contact any local printer repair shops in your area to see if they can service the printer or have any print heads still in stock.

Please be advised that if they do have any print heads or can perform service it may cost more to repair the printer then it would to replace it so please get a quote first.

Announcements