cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG5500 extremely slow printing

billrosenblatt
Apprentice

Hi,

I have a PIXMA MG5500 series printer that's used by several different computers via Wi-Fi. All but one of the computers have no trouble printing to it. But on my machine (Lenovo PC laptop running Windows 10 Pro), printing is extremely slow. This just started happening a few weeks ago. The popup window gets stuck on "the printer is offline" for a while, then stuck on "creating print data" for a long time. It takes several minutes to print a simple document of a few pages. It prints in chunks: you'll hear it print a few lines, then long pause, then a few more lines, then long pause, etc. Sometimes the delays are so long that it times out and gives up. 

There is no problem with Wi-Fi. My laptop is about 15 feet across the room from the printer with nothing in between; and other computers located in other rooms print to it fine. Also, my laptop has no problem with any other network service - web browsing, email, streaming music, etc. 

I have tried power cycling the printer and reinstalling the device drivers several times, to no avail. Also tried hard-resetting the printer, didn't help.

Other clues: when I try to access the printer's web interface from my browser (via local IP address), the web page takes a very long time to come up but it eventually comes up. This is consistent with how it prints. I tried disabling my firewall (Windows Defender), made no difference. Also, I tried pinging the printer's IP address from my laptop. The response time varies widely. Sometimes it's 2-3 millisec, sometimes it's over 100 msec, sometimes it times out.

Any idea what is going on here?

Thanks,

- bill. 

1 REPLY 1

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

Since this is only happening on one computer and you have already tried reinstalling the driver, I recommend you try to restart the print spooler.

Follow these steps to restart the print spooler:

1. Press and hold the Windows key Windows icon and press R. This opens a Run box.

2. In the Run box, type services.msc, then select OK.

Shown in run box: services.msc

3. In the Services window, scroll down to Print Spooler. Right-click on it, then select Restart.

Print Spooler selected, with pop-up window shown, where Restart is selected.

4. After the print spooler restarts, close the Services window and try to print again.

If this does not resolve the issue, there may be something on that one computer that is conflicting with the printer driver. I would have to recommend contacting Microsoft at that point. You would let them know all but that one computer is having the issue. They should be able to narrow down the cause from there.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements