cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG5420 Printer not responding

TiffanyPhelan
Apprentice

Hello,

My printer will not print and reads "printer not responding."  I have restarted the printer and laptop and unplugged and replugged the USB cord with no luck.  Any pointers?

Thanks!

Tiffany

8 REPLIES 8

Jason
Whiz

Hi!

To ensure the most accurate information is provided, we will need to know the version of Windows or Mac in use.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Windows 2007

Ramona
Authority

Hi TiffanyPhelan,

Reinstalling the printer using the latest drivers from the Canon USA website may resolve the issue you are experiencing. Please click here to go to the initial download page for your PIXMA MG5420.  Once on the initial download page for your model, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" drop-down menu is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system.

2. Next, please click on the red arrow next to the "DRIVERS" section and click the MP drivers file. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear. Please click on the checkbox below the DOWNLOAD button, then click the red DOWNLOAD button to begin the download. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

Once the file is downloaded, please double-click on it to reinstall the printer on your computer.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks! You fixed it!

angiek168
Apprentice

This fix works for me as well, but every single time my printer is turned off, or if my laptop leaves my home network (to go to work), I have to remove the printer and reinstall the print drivers again.  This is extremely time consuming and frustrating.  Any suggestions?

(I have a Canon MG3520, connected wirelessly, working on Windows 7.)

Albert_Danry
Contributor

@TiffanyPhelan wrote:

Hello,

My printer will not print and reads "printer not responding."  I have restarted the printer and laptop and unplugged and replugged the USB cord with no luck.  Any pointers?

Thanks!

Tiffany

I've had these problems before with many printers. This usually happens when you install 3rd party adobe, or flash plugins for print outs.

I would suggest going to Control Panel, Printers & Faxes, look through the list of Printers, then right-click on your Canon MX340 be sure Default printer is checked.

Return to what you are printing then try printing again.
Source(s):
[link removed per forum guidelines]

Hi

I experienced similar problems with Pixma MG3520 printer over WiFi where every time I switched on the printer my laptops won't recognize it displaying status "Printer not responding" and I had to reset my wifi router to discover the printer.

I presume this problem happens as the WiFi router assigns the IP address dynamically using DHCP and whenever the printer is powered on after a long slumber, the printer's network interface adapter is unable to auto-negotiate with the WiFi Modem due to unknown PHY layer issues. I had to reserve one IP address out of the DHCP range to this printer on the router that would eliminate the issues like gateway ip not reachable 

The solution that I figured out is to add the MAC address of the printer under MAC address filter section of WiFi modem this overrides the dependency on IP assignment through  DHCP mechanism. This MAC address filter option on the router allows only those devices with their MAC address entry found under this section enabled for security reasons.

Ta

Kris

Hello everyone,

I had changed computers couldn't get my Canon MG5420 to print. I nearly did everything suggested by the community to get the Canon MG5420 to print. All tests and troubleshooting said it was working but the Printer dialogue box would say "Printing".... but after a few seconds.. "Printer not responding".

After about 5 reinstalls, I finally called Canon Canada support 
1 800 OK CANON (1 800 652-2666) 9 AM to 5 PM EST Monday through Friday

They took over my machine note that I had Bitdefender on my new computer and change the Firewall settings from public to Home/PC.  

It worked after that!   The whole process took 15 minutes. I should have done it earlier.

I'll give Canon ***** stars.

Announcements