cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG5420 How to Print My Art onto a CD/DVD?

BSquared18
Contributor

Hello,

In the user manual, I see instructions for scanning the original cover of a DVD/CD and for printing a DVD/CD paper LABEL. But I don't see instructions for how to print my artwork directly onto a printable DVD/CD.

When I open the main printer menu on my desktop and click on the "Disc Label Print" icon, I'm able to import my artwork onto the blank template, but then when I press PRINT, the only options I'm given have to do with type of paper. A disc is not given as an option.

One time I was able to set it up to work. But now I forget the steps I took to have the disc option instead of just paper.

I tried to find a YouTube video to help, but the ones I found use older software and aren't very helpful.

Can anyone help?

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Figured it out. I had not clicked on "Theme and Main People." That solved the problem.

Bill

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Hilikus311
Apprentice

Hi Bill,

I was having the same issue and it took me a few minutes to figure everything out. To get your own art on the printer, perform the following steps:

1. Click on "New Art", and select "Disc Label"

2. Select your theme (if your whole label will be the custom art, it doesn't really matter which one you pick)

3. Select your layout style (I use the first, as my entire label is typically the whole label)

4. Click on "Background" and then check "Photo" as your background.

5. Under the "My Art" section, find your custom art, and drag it back up to the "New Disc Label that you've created.

6. The custom art will now be displayed above the label template, simply click and drag down to the template and your artwork will appear.

Hopefully you find this helpful!

Thanks for the advice.

I was thrown for a moment by your reference to "My Art," until I realized you were simply referring to the folder where you have your artwork, which is named differently than mine. No problem there.

I tried following your steps. My problem isn't getting the artwork onto the template. Once I do that, when I click the "Print" button and the program moves to the next screen/step, the only option shown is paper-related, not disc.

On the other hand, if I click on "Print" with no artwork installed, the disc option is shown.

One time I was able to make it work. For that disc, the thumbnail of the artwork in the upper left hand corner of the screen has a small checkmark in one corner. Nothing I've tried since than has had the check mark.

I discovered how to do it but then stupidly did not make notes. I've tried everything I can think of, but to no avail. I carefully followed your suggested steps, but the outcome is the same--paper options, not disc options.

Bill

Figured it out. I had not clicked on "Theme and Main People." That solved the problem.

Bill

I get the error

a printer supporting the selected paper size is not installed.

I have the MX922.  What is "theme and Main People"????????????????

Let me suggest to anyone trying to print to disc with the Canon MG5420 that instead of the My Image Garden software now being bundled with the machine, they use the software that was formerly included, Canon EZ-PhotoPrint EX. This can be downloaded for free online (I'll post the URL here, but if that's not allowed in this forum, just search Google for it: http://easy-photoprint-ex.software.informer.com/download/ and there is an excellent tutorial for it on YouTube (here if allowed, otherwise search for DVD Label Printing by Schuch Designs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn_vlPbKGkg&list=WL&index=9). I'm not affiliated with either; I just know that I struggled getting a project done with the Image Garden software and some online alternatives; the EZ-PhotoPrint method got it done quickly. I don't know why Canon discontinued it in favor of Image Garden; the EZ program was a lot more intuitive and had a lot more options. Just my suggestion.

What they fail to tell you and everyone else, for that matter, is that the new program works along the same lines as the old.

1. Select your layout - note which of the My Art items upon which you're currently working.
  2. Select your images - in the tree to the left of the main work area, drill to whereever the images you want are stored.
  3. Use your image(s) - do this by dragging them up the item under "My Art" you noted in step 1.
  4. The selected images nopw appear is a bar above the main work area and from there, you can drag them onto your chosen layout.

Presto!

Was there supposed to be a tray for this with the mx5422? I'm lost here.

Hi mahaska,

The PIXMA MG5420 does come with a disc tray.  It can be found attached to the bottom of the upper paper tray of the printer. For information on how to remove the disc tray for use, please click here.  

If the tray cannot be found, we ask that you please call 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays) and a Canon technical support representative will be happy to help.  There is no charge for this call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks. Um, I see no accept as solution button.

Announcements