cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG5350 and Greyscale printing with black.

newnoob
Apprentice

Hello, I have a Pixma MG5350 and am wondering if there is a way I can print in greyscale using only the black ink?

Like alot of pritners I have had before when I select the "greyscale" option and print it converys all the colors on the page into shades of gret but it still uses all the color cartridges to print those shades.

I know printing with only black will be of a lower quality but i'm not converned with that, and in alot of the pages I actually find using the colors to print the greys annoying as i'm reading this B&W document but i'm seeing these cyan and magent specs all over the place where it's trying to print a light color instead of just black specs.

This is quite annoying as I only print B&W text documents with the occassional B&W graphic in them yet i'm having to constanlty waste money replacing the color cartirdges.

I know it will use some of the ink when the printer comes on and cleans the heads etc but i'm almost replacing the color cartirdges as often as the black one which is just rediculous.

Some printers I have used have a "black only" option you can check that will not use the color however I see no option for that in the settings. Is there some way that I can print in greyscale without having to waste color ink?

4 REPLIES 4

Stephen

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your question! We appreciate your participation, however we need to let you know that your product seems to be a model that is not supported by our team here at Canon USA. The Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for the US market. If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs. Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

DougR
Apprentice

My printer is a MG8220 and I have the same issue along with not being able to use the two-sided print feature.

I CAN use these features if I print via wireless connection. These features are not available to me when I try to print using a USB connection. I have not idea if this will work for your printer. I am currently looking for a answer as to why these features are not available when printing via USB.

Hi DougR,

The two-sided printing function is available when printing both wirelessly and via USB cable.  So we can better assist you, please reply with what operating system is on your computer.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

aeb001
Apprentice

Did you ever get an answer to your question? I have the same problem. I blaze through the colour cartridges even though i print mostly greyscale.

Announcements