cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG3620 Printer

Oldyellr
Enthusiast

After my PIXMA iP7220 printer died, apparently due to a failed print head costing more than the printer itself, I looked for another Canon printer under $100. I found and bought an MG3620. I am very disappointed with this printer. For starters, the generic ink cartridges available are few and a lot more expensive than for the iP7220 and the ink runs out a lot sooner. In order to save on the colour ink I printed a few items in B&W but after that everything printed in B&W and I had to waste a lot of ink and paper to get stuff to print in colour again. This is the most user-unfriendly printer I've ever owned, even going back to the dot matrix days. I'm ready to throw this $50 printerr in the garbage. Does anyone have a suggestion for another Canon printer under $100 with the features of the old iP7220?

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

In all honesty the old addage "you really get what you pay for" applies with printers much of the time.  Hard to win, they get you going and coming, as you always need more ink. 

Haloween and black friday is coming up.  Maybe wait and spend a little more.  The other thing to do.  Look at the size of the ink tanks on your old machine.  Ensure what you by new has the same (or larger) capacity, and compare the duty cycles and anticipated page yield when deciding on your next printer.  Duty cycle is how many pages you print per month (example).

Buy a printer that meets your anticipated duty cycle requirements.  The next thing to consider.  Capacity of cartridges.  This gets a little more involved.  Typically the manufacturers rate page yeild from a cartridge based on a percentage of coverage.  So ensure you compare these values as well.  Attempt to strike a balance between duty cycle, capacity, page yield and price to pick the best overall value.  Worth noting, budget printers do not usually score high in capacity or yield.  Of course features matter too, but they are based on individual needs.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements