cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG2520

skyrabian
Apprentice

My MG2520 was working good and then the alarm light started coming on solidly and the printer wouldn't print.  If I pushed the 'black' button, the alarm light would go off and the printer would work.  Now the alarm and the power button are blinking 7 times between the pause and nothing works.  The print heads won't even come out to where they can be replaced.  I have tried turning the printer off and disconnecting the power cord for 30 seconds, but the lights keep flashing when I turn it back on.  Also I get the code 5B00  What can I do?  Anyone?

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Did you try searching for the error?

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/ErrorCode/MG2500%20series/EN/ERR/5B00.html

It's likely the ink absorber.

I don't think Canon has any carry in service centers open at this time (due to COVID19).  So, the cost to ship or service this printer including your time will exceed the value of a new printer. 

Time for a new printer. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hello shadowsports,  I did search for the error.  It said the same as you, that the ink absorber was full.  I took the machine apart and cleaned and dried the ink absorber as well as everything else I could see.  It still does the same 7 flashes.  Is there a way to reset the machine?  Is there any other hope?  Thanks, skyrabian

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi skyrabian,

The 5b00 waste ink absorber message would mean the printer would need service. The printer has a 1 year warranty and to see what service options you have, you can click the link HERE to create a Canon account and contact service.

Outside of the 1 year warranty, you can contact our sales department at 1-800-652-2666 and use our Upgrade Program. The Upgrade Program will give you a discount and free shipping on a replacement printer.

Hello Again Hector,

I have searched online for a solution as well.  In one site I found how to do a complete reset by turning the power off and then holding the stop button for two seconds.  Then release the stop button and press it 5 times then release of both buttons.  It says that the printer should shut down.  Then when the power button is pressed again to turn on the machine, it should be reset for the absorption. issue.  When I do all of that, the ink cariage moves back and forth, but the machine doesn't shut down.  When I push the power button to shut it down and then turn it back on, it goes back into the 7 alternating blinks.  When I try to print from my computer, it says the printer is offline?  I know there must be some way to reset this machine.  As I am out of warranty, I am sure Canon can't do anything, but I just don't see the point in throwing a perfectly good machine away?  Thanks for all of your input though!  ~skyrabian

Hi skyrabian,

The waste ink absorber collects any ink from the printing or cleaning process. If you are getting the waste ink absorber error, it would mean the printer has run out of room for waste ink. Just trying to reset the printer would not resolve the issue. The printer would need a new absorber installed so the printer can continue to function properly. Unfortunately, the steps you were mentioning would not resolve that issue.

You could always check in your area for a third party printer repair facility but, the MG2520 is an entry level printer so it would usually be more cost effective to replace instead of repair. My best suggestion in this situation would be to take advantage of the Upgrade program to get a discount and free shipping on a replacement printer.

Hello Hector, 

If my printer was still in warranty and I took it to a service store with a full ink absorber, what would they do to get it back in service?  If they installed a new ink absorber and cleaned the printer how would they 'reset' the unit from the 5B00 error message?  I have cleaned and dried the ink absorber.  Everything is ready to go back into service.  What would a technician do to reset the unit?  I know it sounds like I'm cheap, but I don't believe in planned obsolecence.  This printer is perfectly good and can print many more pages.  It just needs the 'oil' light reset, so to speak.  What everyone is suggesting is like having a car that runs out of gas and you have to throw the car away because you can't refill the tank.  Give me some proceedures please.  If this is really how it is, I will probably never buy another Canon product.  Thanks for your time.  Ken 

Hi skyrabian,

Only an Authorized Service Facility can perform the necessary procedures to reset this counter. There are no steps that Canon can provide online to reset the waste ink absorber counter.

If you would like to take advantage of the upgrade program, please call o (866) 443-8002 Mon-Sat, 9 AM to 9pm EST. Let them know that the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements